Buddhadeb rules out separate Gorkhaland stateMarch 28th, 2009 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, March 28 (IANS) Rubbishing the demand of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) for a separate state, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Saturday categorically said the government cannot declare Darjeeling as Gorkhaland state.
“We cannot declare Darjeeling as a separate Gorkhaland state. To form a separate state is not the solution to the problems existing in the hills,” Bhattacharjee told an open-party conference at Kanchanjangha stadium here.
“Darjeeling is internationally known as a popular tourist destination. We cannot make it a separate state. It is a pride of West Bengal.”
“We are ready to offer more administrative power and facility to the body which will rule the region,” said Bhattacharjee, who went to northern West Bengal on a two-day visit Saturday.
He also appealed to the people in the hills to vote for the ruling Left Front (LF) candidate in the general elections.
“If you want to punish those who are supporting the Gorkhaland state, please exercise your franchise in the coming Lok Sabha elections,” he urged, terming the Congress-Trinamool Congress alliance in the state as “unholy nexus”.
Meanwhile, a GJM team, led by party president Biman Gurung, returned to the base after meetings with the national parties in the capital.
“We have not taken any decision on which party we will support in the April-May election. We will take that decision in the party’s central committee meeting that is scheduled to be held March 30,” Gurung said.
He said the Congress-nominated candidate for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat, Dawa Narbula, was not a suitable representative as he did not raise a single question in connection with the demand for the Gorkhaland state in the past.
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- Buddhadeb accuses Trinamool of colluding with GJM - Feb 13, 2011
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- No Gorkhaland: Buddhadeb - Feb 20, 2011
- Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- Mamata withdraws Trinamool candidates from GTA polls - Jul 21, 2012
- Buddhadeb rules out Darjeeling interim council - Nov 30, 2010
- Ahead of meet with GJM, Mamata rejects Bengal's division (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- GNLF supremo Ghishing to challenge GTA in court - Jun 13, 2012
- GJM's support to Trinamool won't affect ties: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: administrative power, bhattacharjee, biman, central committee, chief minister, committee meeting, congress alliance, general elections, gjm, gorkha, gurung, lok sabha elections, national parties, nexus, party president, s central, suitable representative, tourist destination, trinamool congress, west bengal