Buddhadeb hopeful of solving Gorkhaland issueAugust 17th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 17 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Sunday said he was hopeful that the Gorkhaland issue could be solved through dialogue, and asked people living in the hills to be patient till a solution was reached. “No matter can be solved without dialogues. We will discuss the Gorkhaland issue and will try to come to a solution,” Bhattacharjee said in a meeting at Phansidewa in Darjeeling district of West Bengal.
“Tourist season is coming and the state government is taking everything into consideration before arriving at any solution,” he added.
A tri-partite meeting between the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), and West Bengal and the central governments on the demand for a separate Gorkhaland in the Darjeeling hills is scheduled to be held in New Delhi later this month.
Earlier, Home Secretary Ashok Mohan Chakraborty said the central government had agreed to hold the meeting in the national capital, though the date and agenda of the talk were not confirmed then.
The GJM, led by its president Bimal Gurung, has been spearheading a movement in the hills for a separate Gorkhaland state, besides opposing the Sixth Schedule status for Darjeeling district that offers greater autonomy to the governing Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC).
Tripartite talks was a key demand of the GJM.
The party also organised an indefinite shutdown in the hills twice over its demand for a separate state, severely hitting tea industry and tourism.
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM - Jul 18, 2011
- Day after accord, GJM harps on Gorkhaland - Jul 19, 2011
- New agency vital for Darjeeling people's identity: Gurung - Jul 18, 2011
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- Darjeeling hills happy, but seek Gorkha area demarcation - Jul 18, 2011
- Draft of Gorkhaland accord finalised, to be signed soon - Jul 08, 2011
- Darjeeling accord on July 18: Mamata (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Rally to celebrate Darjeeling accord - Jul 21, 2011
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- Darjeeling accord an alarm signal: CPI-M - Jul 17, 2011
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata; GJM maintains Gorkhaland demand (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: ashok, autonomy, bhattacharjee, central government, central governments, chakraborty, chief minister, darjeeling hills, dialogues, gjm, gorkha, gurung, home secretary, hopeful, mohan, state government, tea industry, tourist season, tripartite talks, west bengal