Buddhadeb hits out at Mamata’s remarksAugust 16th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 16 (IANS) In a veiled attack on West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Thursday said that instead of attacking judges for alleged corruption the government should act against the miscreants.
“Everywhere there is anarchy. All things are spinning out of control. The government is even lashing out at the judiciary,” said Bhattacharjee, former chief minister, at a programme marking the golden jubilee of the party’s Bengali organ Desh Hitaishee.
“Why you are attacking the judiciary? Why don’t you take strict action against the miscreants?” he asked, without taking Banerjee’s name.
He alleged that the message coming out from the chief minister’s comment was that her government was not taking strict action against the miscreants.
Speaking on the occasion of the assembly’s platinum jubilee celebrations Tuesday, Banerjee alleged corruption among a section of the judiciary. Facing criticism, she Thursday defended her remarks and said she was talking about reforms.
CPI-M politburo member Sitaram Yechury, who was present at the Desh Hitaishee function, attacked the media.
“Bourgeois media take the people out of the agenda. We must bring the people back into the agenda,” he said.
He said corporatisation of the media had led to a situation where the top priority of the fourth estate was to maximise profit and not dissemination of information.
- It's Buddha versus Mamata again in Bengal - Feb 29, 2012
- Buddhadeb lashes out at Mamata for campus violence - Jan 13, 2012
- CPI-M begins introspection on poll debacle (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Mamata slams media for abetting suicides, rapes - Aug 25, 2012
- Buddhadeb silent on Singur verdict, flays Mamata - Sep 29, 2011
- Mamata's comment on court judgments flayed by parties - Aug 15, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- As Mamata says 'all cooked up', Marxists hit road (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 04, 2012
- CPI-M expresses 'grave concern' over Bengal law and order - Aug 14, 2012
- CPI-M says it is not a one-man party - Apr 13, 2011
- Plea in SC seeks action against Mamata (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Buddhadeb attacks Mamata for unreal job promises - Sep 15, 2011
- Buddhadeb slams centre, West Bengal government - Aug 26, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary - Aug 16, 2012
- Congress seeks detailed probe into Bengal arms recovery (Lead) - May 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,