BSP will take steps to combat terrorism: MayawatiApril 20th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 20 (IANS) Adequate measures will be taken to combat terrorism and Maoist insurgency if the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is voted to power in the centre, party supremo and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati said Monday.
“When it comes to power in the centre, the BSP will take enough steps to contain the growing terrorism and Maoist insurgency across the country,” Mayawati said at an election rally in Ambedkarnagar district, some 200 km from here.
She criticised political parties for turning to film stars for election campaigns.
“My political opponents are taking the support of various artistes, actors and also those involved in fake Gandhigiri to pull crowds to their public meetings. But this will not help my opponents to convert the crowds into votes,” said Mayawati.
The rival Samajwadi Party’s general secretary and Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt popularised the term Gandhigiri (following Mahatma Gandhi’s teachings of peace and harmony) with his hit film “Lage Raho Munnabhai”. He has also been using the term extensively while campaigning for his party.
At her rally, Mayawati also accused the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) of ignoring development of the state.
“The UPA government has completely ignored the state. Despite my several requests to release a special package of Rs.80,000 crore (Rs.800 billion) for the development of the state, it has still not done nothing,” said Mayawati.
She urged the public to ensure that neither the Congress nor the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) form the government in the centre.
- Warrant issued for Sanjay Dutt's arrest - May 28, 2011
- Mayawati seeks fifth term as birthday gift (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, spews fire at Congress (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt charms Lucknow, promises 'Gandhigiri' (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2009
- Mayawati, Mulayam attend Sonia's lunch - Aug 06, 2012
- Battle of titans in UP: Maya, Sonia cross swords (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Judge BSP's support by crowds at rallies, says Mayawati - Feb 01, 2012
- Congress, BSP ignoring Muslims: Mulayam - Nov 16, 2011
- Barabanki gets the chills, slow polling in first hours - Feb 08, 2012
- Mayawati tries to gain foothold in Uttarakhand - Jan 25, 2012
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- 'Munnabhai' Sanjay Dutt wins over crowds at Samajwadi Party rally - Jan 17, 2009
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, attacks Congress (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- BSP did more for UP than all other parties: Mayawati - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: adequate measures, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bollywood star, chief minister, crore, election campaigns, election rally, film stars, general secretary, mahatma gandhi, maoist, munnabhai, peace and harmony, political opponents, progressive alliance, rs 800, sanjay dutt, uttar pradesh chief minister mayawati