BSP welcomes cabinet nod for reservation in job promotionSeptember 4th, 2012 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati Tuesday welcomed the union cabinet’s approval to a bill to give Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes reservation in job promotion.
The BSP chief, talking to reporters here, appealed to the main opposition party, Bharatiya Janata Party, to let the bill be passed in this session, which ends Sep 7.
“I will appeal to the NDA, specially BJP, who have been stalling parliament over the coal block allocations. I would request them to pass this bill as it has already been discussed in the all party meeting, and needs no more debate in parliament,” Mayawati said.
“I would urge them, whether it takes half an hour, one hour or one and a half hour, to get it passed in this session,” she said.
“We have fought hard for this bill. It will allow SCs and STs to stand on their feet,” she said.
She added that if reservation is also granted to the other backward classes, it would be a welcome move that her party would support.
BSP’s regional rival Samajwadi party, which presently forms the government in Uttar Pradesh, has opposed the bill, calling it unconstitutional.
BJP, meanwhile, has agreed to support the bill. However, party leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told IANS that some members had reservations and may seek amendments to the bill.
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP to continue protest, unlikely to oblige on promotion quota bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- SP, BSP MPs scuffle over promotion quota bill (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: abbas, allocations, amendments, bjp, cabinet nod, coal, half an hour, half hour, main opposition party, Mayawati, naqvi, nda, New Delhi, parliament, party chief, party leader, Samajwadi Party, tribes, union cabinet, welcome move