BSP tries to win over jailed MPsJuly 16th, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 16 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Wednesday continued its efforts to win over jailed MPs from the state to defeat the Congress-led government in the July 22 trust vote. Akbar Ahmed Dumpy, a Lok Sabha member from Azamgarh in eastern Uttar Pradesh, called on jailed MP Afzal Ansari from the Samajwadi Party.
While what transpired between them was not known, informed sources said the BSP was building bridges with as many MPs as possible amid allegations from the Samajwadi Party that the BSP was into horse-trading.
On Tuesday, PWD Minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui met BSP’s jailed MP Uma Kant Yadav, whom Mayawati had May 30 got arrested from outside her residence. He met Yadav in the Fatehgarh jail in Farukkhabad district.
Meanwhile, Atiq Ahmad, another Samajwadi Party MP from Phoolpur in Allahabad district, had earlier announced that he would vote against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government and stand by Mayawati.
Atiq is at present in jail in Mainpuri district on charges of killing former BSP legislator from Allahabad Raju Pal.
On the request of Atiq, the district court in Mainpuri Tuesday directed the district administration to make proper security arrangements for him to attend parliament session July 21-22 to vote on the India-US nuclear deal, informed sources said.
If Ansari also agrees to back Mayawati in parliament, the number of MPs of the Samajwadi Party voting against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government will rise to four.
- Uttar Pradesh minister meets jailed BSP MP - Jul 15, 2008
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- BSP will not give ticket to Atiq Ahmad: Mayawati - Feb 22, 2009
- Pranab receives warm welcome in Lucknow, meets Mulayam and Mayawati - Jul 04, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- 70 IAS officials transferred in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 13, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- Jailed politicians make a beeline for BSP - Aug 16, 2008
- Leaders held, workers baton-charged in Samajwadi Party protests (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Expelled Samjawadi Party MP joins Uttar Pradesh regional party - Mar 09, 2009
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- Voters queue up early in Mulayam bastion - Feb 23, 2012
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- Mayawati, Mulayam attend Sonia's lunch - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: afzal, allahabad, ansari, azamgarh, building bridges, district administration, horse trading, lok sabha member, manmohan singh, nuclear deal, parliament session, phoolpur, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, proper security, pwd minister, Samajwadi Party, siddiqui, trust vote