BSP stages walk out over power crisis in Uttar PradeshJune 20th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 20 (IANS) Angry at the incessant power cuts in Uttar Pradesh and dissatisfied with the government response to its concern on the issue, the opposition Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Wednesday walked out of an assembly session accusing the Samajwadi Party government of being indifferent to the people’s plight.
Earlier, PWD Minister Shivpal Yadav said the government was spending Rs.7 crore per day on buying extra power. The government was trying to fix the problem and, at times due to grid failure, had to resort to power rostering, Yadav said.
He was replying to a question by BSP legislator Dharampal Singh on the power situation in and around the Taj Mahal in Agra, after the Supreme Court’s order to provide electricity 24×7.
Yadav said adequate number of inverters were being installed to meet the power crisis.
However, Leader of Opposition Swamy Prasad Maurya wanted to know the number of power cuts in the Taj Mahal area in the past one month.
The minister said the government was trying not only to better power supply in the Taj Mahal area but also the entire state.
Maurya later charged the government with creating a chaotic situation in the state over power supply.
He said the government was being anti-people and anti-farmer. He then led his party legislators in a walk out from the House.
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- Evidence against Maya government's scams soon: Shivpal - Jun 02, 2012
- Akhilesh withdraws Rs.20 lakh largesse for legislators (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Communal riot add to Mulayam-Akhilesh's headache - Jun 02, 2012
- UP assembly opens on stormy note - May 28, 2012
- BSP protests renaming of Lucknow's Kanshi Ram park - Aug 07, 2012
- After bedlam, UP assembly adjourned till Tuesday (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- Thousands of activists detained during protests: Samajwadi Party - Mar 07, 2011
- BSP slams Akhilesh's first month in office - Apr 20, 2012
- SP activists protest against BSP, baton-charged - Mar 07, 2011
- Sack Raja Bhaiyya from UP cabinet, demands BSP - May 11, 2012
- Power woes: Sonia's whisper stronger than SC order - Sep 02, 2012
- UP gifts Rs.20 lakh to MLAs for cars, opposition protests - Jul 03, 2012
- Mulayam gives Akhilesh full marks on completing 100 days - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: adequate number, assembly session, chaotic situation, crore, extra power, government response, grid failure, leader of opposition, legislator, legislators, maurya, party government, plight, power crisis, power situation, power supply, rostering, Samajwadi Party, taj mahal, taj mahal in agra