BSP protests renaming of Lucknow’s Kanshi Ram parkAugust 7th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 7 (IANS) The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) took to the streets here Tuesday to protest against renaming a park commemorating its idealogue and founder Kanshi Ram after late Samajwadi Party leader Janeshwar Mishra.
Leading the sit-in in front of the park in Vyom Khand area of Gomtinagar, BSP general secretary and Leader of Opposition Swami Prasad Maurya said that they would not tolerate the “games” the Samajwadi Party government was playing with the names of Dalit icons.
Contending that the 376-acre park was conceived by the previous Mayawati government, which had decided to name the park after Kanshi Ram, Maurya said the decision of the Akhilesh Yadav government had reduced the honour given to Dalit leaders to a mockery.
BSP leader and former PWD minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui said the government’s decision would be opposed tooth and nail and demanded that the renaming be revoked.
The Lucknow Development Authority (LDA) Monday evening had hung a board outside the park naming it Janeshwar Mishra Park and had Tuesday begun construction there.
As soon as the news reached the BSP cadres and supporters, they arrived in strength at the park and Maurya and Siddiqui staged a sit-in outside.
Meanwhile, the Samajwadi Party said that the BSP had run out of issues and was therefore highlighting “bogus” issues.
Party spokesman Rajendra Chowdhary said that the decision to change the name of the park was taken during the budget session of the assembly and hence it was not a point to be raised now.
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati's statue vandalised, BSP warns of consequences - Jul 26, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- With SP's return, Mulayam's pet projects return - Mar 07, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- BSP to demonstrate against petrol price hike Tuesday - May 31, 2011
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- Early Holi for supporters of Hanuman devotee Mulayam - Mar 06, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- UP set for hung house, SP on top, BSP out (Third Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: acre park, akhilesh yadav, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, budget session, general secretary, idealogue, kanshi ram, leader of opposition, lucknow development authority, lucknow development authority lda, Mayawati, mockery, party government, party leader, party spokesman, pwd minister, Samajwadi Party, siddiqui, tooth and nail