BSP legislator, brother booked on murder chargeOctober 26th, 2010 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 26 (IANS) A legislator from Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and his brother were booked for a murder following violent protests by supporters of a candidate killed in the panchayat polls in Sultanpur district Tuesday, police said.
Supporters of Ram Kumar Yadav accused local legislator Sonu Singh and his brother Monu Singh, a block pramukh (chief), of kidnapping and killing him.
“While Yadav was reported missing Sunday, his body was recovered from Majhwara village Tuesday, following which his supporters went on a rampage, burning down vehicles and other property belonging to the Singh brothers in the village,” a local police official told IANS over telephone from Sultanpur, 150 km from Lucknow.
“While tempers did calm down after the police agreed to register a criminal case of kidnapping and murder against Sonu Singh and Monu Singh, villagers were still sitting on a dharna (sit-in) to press their demand for the arrest of the two,” he added.
Known for their criminal antecedents, the Singh brothers were earlier alleged to be involved in the murder of a local seer, Sant Gyaneshwar. However, they were acquitted by a court for lack of evidence.
- Two policemen suspended for inaction - Nov 02, 2010
- Murdered official's widow wins village poll in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2010
- Rahul backs plea for CBI probe into official's murder - Nov 17, 2010
- One killed, BSP legislator held in poll violence - Dec 22, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh lawmaker gets police clean chit in murder - Nov 09, 2010
- Mukhtar Ansari's sharpshooter arrested - Nov 16, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh minister to face murder case - Aug 06, 2011
- Two arrested in Ghaziabad honour killing case - Jul 27, 2010
- Raja Bhaiya, Samajwadi Party MP arrested for bid on candidate - Dec 19, 2010
- Close aide of legislator arrested in Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Triple murder in Ghaziabad, two held - Jan 04, 2012
- Two legislators linked to Ranvir Sena chief murder? - Jun 08, 2012
- Mulayam leads Holi celebrations in UP - Mar 08, 2012
- Brisk polling on in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav becomes UP's youngest chief minister (Third Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: antecedents, brother, criminal case, lack of evidence, legislator, murder charge, police official, polls, ram kumar, rampage, seer, sultanpur district, tempers, uttar pradesh, violent protests, yadav