BSP lawmaker gets life in woman’s murder (Lead)May 17th, 2011 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 17 (IANS) Ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator and former Uttar Pradesh minister Anand Sen was Tuesday convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for his involvement in the abduction and murder of a young woman in Faizabad over three years ago.
Sen’s driver Vijay Sen and a close friend Seema Azad were also awarded life imprisonment for their involvement in the woman’s murder.
The sentence was pronounced in an open court by a special trial court presided by Judge Matambar Singh.
Daughter of BSP worker Yogendra Prasad, 24-year-old Shashi was abducted on Oct 22, 2007, while she was returning from the Saket Degree College, Faizabad, where she was a third-year law student.
Investigations revealed that she was last seen in the MLA’s car with the latter’s driver Vijay Sen on that day after which she remained untraceable. Anand Sen is the son of a prominent political leader, Mitra Sen Yadav, who switched several parties - from the CPI to the Samajwadi Party to the BSP.
About two weeks later, her body was found floating in the Gomati river in Sultanpur. The highly decomposed body could be identified from the wrist watch she was wearing. Shashi’s father identified the wrist watch that was recovered much later from a boatman, who had pulled it out of the floating body.
While the body had floated down the river, it was the boatman’s confession and recovery of the wrist watch that corroborated the girl’s identity.
Investigations revealed that Sen’s driver took Shashi to the MLA’s room in the Faizabad Circuit House, after which she was killed and the driver carried the body and dumped it in the Gomati river.
Anand Sen was handpicked by Mayawati to be sworn in as a minister in her government in 2007. Even at that time, there were several criminal cases pending against him.
It was only after his involvement in Shashi’s murder was exposed in the media that Mayawati dropped him from her government.
- Former BSP minister get lifer in woman's murder - May 17, 2011
- Former Uttar Pradesh minister sent to judicial custody - Jun 15, 2008
- Police hot on heels of BSP lawmaker accused of murder - Jun 14, 2008
- Mayawati opens Ambedkar statues - Dec 06, 2010
- BSP lawmaker accused of murder surrenders (Lead) - Jun 14, 2008
- BJP accuses UP Govt. of failing to maintain law and order - Jan 29, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh lawmaker gets police clean chit in murder - Nov 09, 2010
- Three to die for killing four-year-old - May 25, 2012
- Mayawati suspends legislator - Sep 29, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Girija Vyas pulls up Mayawati Govt. over rising rape cases in UP - Feb 07, 2011
- Three pro-talk ULFA members held for robbery, murders - Aug 20, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: abducted, anand, boatman, decomposed body, degree college, faizabad, lawmaker, legislator, life imprisonment, lucknow, Mayawati, political leader, s driver, Samajwadi Party, shashi, student investigations, untraceable, uttar pradesh minister, wrist watch, yadav