BSP fields former Punjab governor against Sidhu for AmritsarMarch 9th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 9 (IANS) The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Monday announced former Punjab governor B.K.N. Chhibber as its candidate for the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat, pitting him against former cricketer and sitting Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Navjot Singh Sidhu.
The BSP will contest all 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab, its national general secretary Narender Kashyap said here.
Punjab is the home state of BSP’s late founder Kanshi Ram. The state has a 29 percent Dalit population.
“The BSP is representing every section of society and is committed to providing a better alternative to people of Punjab. Former governor Chhibber, who is from the Brahmin community, will contest from Amritsar,” Kashyap told the media here Monday.
Chhibber joined the BSP recently.
“We have decided the names of our candidates from 12 seats, barring Gurdaspur constituency where we are considering a Rajput candidate. Our candidates are from different communities like Sikh, Gujjar, Brahmin and backward class,” added Kashyap.
Ruling out any tie up with the Congress and BJP, Kashyap said: “People of our country want Mayawati to become the next prime minister. We are sure to give the Congress and BJP a tough contest in the forthcoming elections.”
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Many Punjab candidates have non-political shades - Mar 15, 2009
- Tendulkar fourth cricketer now in parliament - Jun 04, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- In birthplace Amritsar, relatives remember Rajesh Khanna - Jul 18, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Notification issued for UP Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 12, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- 'Missing' Navjot Sidhu posters come up in Amritsar - Sep 21, 2009
- Polling begins in Punjab, Chandigarh - May 13, 2009
Tags: amritsar, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bjp, chandigarh, chhibber, congress, constituency, cricketer, forthcoming elections, general secretary, kashyap, lok sabha seats, mp, narender, population, prime minister, sidhu