BSNL staff on fast, threaten strike Oct 10September 27th, 2011 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 27 (IANS) State-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd’s (BSNL) executive and non-executive staff Tuesday observed a day long fast for their demands and threatened an all India strike on Oct 10 if they are not met.
The demands includes refund of Rs.8,313 crore paid towards broadband spectrum charges, flexibility in selecting circles for 3G services, and compensation for services in rural areas.
Thousands of workers participated in the fast at major centres like including Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
“The company needs to be strengthened, we need to get back all the money that has been lost basically due to wrong policies of the government,” V.A.N. Namboodiri, convenor, Joint Action Committee of BSNL unions and associations told IANS.
The demands also include refund of “notional loan” of Rs.7,500 crore with interest collected by the telecom department from BSNL.
Currently the state-run operator has over 2,76,000 employees. There has been plan to reduce its work force by 50 percent in order to save over Rs.32,000 crore wages.
Namboodiri said that so far they have not received any response from the government following the fast adding that though the services of the telecom operator was not affected Tuesday due to the fast, it will certainly be affected on Oct 10.
- BSNL workers on indefinite strike from Tuesday - Apr 15, 2010
- BSNL staff to go on indefinite strike from April 20 - Mar 23, 2010
- BSNL staff to strike work April 20 to protest divestment - Mar 16, 2010
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- BSNL workers on strike against divestment - Apr 20, 2010
- Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges - Aug 24, 2011
- Reliance Communications says BSNL breached agreement - Jun 13, 2011
- State-run telecom operators turn red - Aug 17, 2011
- BSNL submits proposal on voluntary retirement to DoT - Nov 30, 2011
- Telecom services hit in northeast due to employees' strike - Dec 16, 2011
- BSNL to lease infrastructure, data services to improve business - Dec 03, 2011
- BSNL not involved in 2G scam: Minister - Sep 07, 2011
- BSNL launches value-added video services - Apr 11, 2011
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- BSNL offers free installation to new broadband customers - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,