British MPs tweet, and how!August 1st, 2011 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Tweeting seems to have become a near obsession with British parliamentarians, says a survey revealing that they spent 1,000 hours on Twitter last year.
Liberal Democrats topped the league with 32 of their 57 MPs regularly tweeting. Almost half of Labour MPs favour the social networking system but just 36 percent of Tory MPs regularly tweet, the Daily Express reported Sunday.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Labour leader Ed Miliband are both Twitter fans and some MPs have revealed a rarely seen gift for comedy.
Twitter, a website, offers a social networking and microblogging service, enabling its users to send and read messages called tweets.
- David Miliband named second sexiest Brit MP - Sep 21, 2010
- Lib Dem leader Clegg's son asks him why he's so unpopular - Apr 07, 2011
- Mentally ill can now become MPs in Britain - Sep 17, 2012
- Labour MP distracts members at PM's Questions with low-cut blouse - Apr 29, 2011
- Ed Miliband likened to lizard for bizarre way he licks his lips - Feb 04, 2011
- Twitter now has 100 mn users worldwide - Sep 09, 2011
- Labour leader Miliband's office burgled - Mar 18, 2012
- Facebook statistics show UK is obsessed with 'X Factor' and football - Dec 15, 2010
- Britain waits for new government as politicians sweat it out - May 10, 2010
- Miliband denied Christmas visit to Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2010
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Twitter to launch Korean version before December - Jul 02, 2010
- Twitter buys British app network TweetDeck - May 26, 2011
- Lib Dem support sinks to lowest level since origin: Poll - Jan 05, 2011
- Twitter is a hit in Japan as millions of Japanese 'mumble' on it - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: british mps, british parliamentarians, comedy, daily express, democrats, deputy prime minister, ed miliband, favour, labour leader, labour mps, london, networking system, nick clegg, obsession, social networking, tory mps, tweet