British minister suggests yacht as gift to queenJanuary 16th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 16 (IANS) A British minister has said Queen Elizabeth’s diamond jubilee must not be overshadowed by the London Olympics, and the government should gift her a yacht instead of organising “transient” events like proms and parties.
A royal yacht could cost more than 60 million pounds (around $92 million) according to estimates, prompting the opposition Labour party to accuse the Conservative minister of being out of touch, Sky News reported.
Education Secretary Michael Gove wrote a letter to the cabinet: “Events such as proms and the party at the palace organised for the diamond jubilee, and street parties, although excellent, are transient. It would be appropriate to do something that will mark the significance of this occasion with a fitting ceremony.”
He said University Minister David Willetts proposed a new boat for the royal family.
Gove criticised the current proposals for their lack of ambition, and wrote: “I feel strongly more should be done to achieve a longer lasting legacy.”
“My suggestion would be a gift from the nation to her majesty, thinking about David Willetts’s excellent suggestion of a royal yacht, and something tangible to commemorate this momentous occasion,” Gove wrote in the letter to Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and to Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, the minister responsible for the jubilee celebrations.
The letter was reportedly obtained by the Guardian daily.
There was a royal yacht — the Britannia — till 1997 when it was decommissioned, and is now a tourist attraction in Edinburgh. The vessel costs around 9 million pounds a year to maintain.
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Britain offers 100 scholarships to Indian students - Nov 16, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- British Minister for Universities and Science visits IIT in Chennai - Jul 29, 2010
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- Four-day holiday, street parties for Queen's Diamond Jubilee - Jan 06, 2010
- 'Lost diary' sheds light on Queen Victoria's relationship with Indian servant - Feb 27, 2011
- British bank chief criticized over bonus - Jan 28, 2012
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- Tories abandon Cameron, 81,000 quit party in seven years - Jul 08, 2012
- British royal family told to cut expenses - Oct 09, 2010
- British minister on week-long India tour - Nov 11, 2010
- Rare pink diamond found in WA - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: british minister, conservative minister, culture secretary, deputy prime minister, diamond jubilee, education secretary, jeremy hunt, jubilee celebrations, london jan, london olympics, michael gove, momentous occasion, nick clegg, opposition labour party, party at the palace, royal yacht, sky news, street parties, tourist attraction in edinburgh, transient events