Britain mulls gender-free passports ‘to spare transgender’September 19th, 2011 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 19 (IANS) Britain plans to introduce passports that do not contain details of the holder’s sex. The move is designed to spare transgender people and those who have both male and female sexual organs, a media report said Monday.
Currently, everybody must identify themselves as either man or woman, even when they are undergoing a sex-change operation or if they are considered “intersex”, Daily Mail reported.
The Home Office has already begun a consultation on changing the rules, it said.
To satisfy international laws, the passport would still list a category titled “sex”, but would then contain a simple “X” for everybody.
Supporters say it will solve the problem of embarrassing situations at border controls, where people whose sex appears to differ from that in their passport are grilled for long periods by guards.
Under existing rules, a “transgender” person undergoing a sex-swap is free to change their identity to a new sex, once the procedure is complete and a gender recognition certificate has been issued, according to the newspaper.
But people who are classed as intersex - a condition which people carry from birth, where they have male and female reproductive organs - are forced to make a choice, the Mail said.
- Third sex gets official gender status in Australia - Sep 15, 2011
- Teenaged transsexual enters Miss England pageant - Jan 14, 2012
- World's first genderless person launches appeal after status is revoked - Jul 07, 2010
- Eunuchs demand equality, special privileges - Jun 02, 2012
- Oz Human Rights Commission wants official status for third intersex gender - Dec 06, 2008
- Transgender prisoner in US wants sex-change operation to prevent rape - Apr 21, 2011
- Briton becomes country's first male to give birth - Feb 12, 2012
- Cher's daughter files petition to become man officially - Mar 31, 2010
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Sex-swap ops in Britain trebled in 9 yrs - Apr 22, 2010
- Sex-change man cannot be registered as woman: Malaysian court - Jan 08, 2011
- Chaz Bono is now a man officially - May 07, 2010
- Scot makes history after winning right to not specify gender - Mar 15, 2010
- 'Gender-bending' chemicals affect reproduction: Study - Oct 27, 2010
- Friend from opposite sex may influence our relationship - May 05, 2012
Tags: border controls, consultation, daily mail, embarrassing situations, female reproductive organs, female sexual organs, london, long periods, male and female reproductive organs, new sex, passport, passports, recognition certificate, sex change operation, sex swap, transgender person