Brisk voting in UP by-election at MantJune 12th, 2012 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 11 (IANS) Brisk voting was reported from Uttar Pradesh’s Mant legislative assembly constituency where by-election is being held Tuesday.
According to Election Commission officials, around 40 percent voting has taken place so far. The by-poll was necessitated following the resignation of Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) leader Jayant Chowdhary, who preferred to retain his Mathura Lok Sabha seat over his MLA seat.
In all, there are 14 candidates in the fray, and the contest is between RLD candidate Yogesh Chowdhary, ruling Samajwadi Party’s (SP) Chaudhary Sanjay Lathar, and Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate Shyam Sundar Sharma. The Congress is supporting the RLD candidate while the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have not fielded candidates.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav canvassed for his party candidate Lathar, who is an important core team member which helped the Samajwadi Party win the state assembly elections.
Pandit Shyam Sundar Sharma, who won the Mant seat six times since 1989 and has hob-nobbed with different parties in his political career, is now a Trinamool Congress candidate and is considered a very strong contender.
To encourage balloting, the Election Commission has allowed those not having election ID cards to vote on the strength of a driving license and a passport. Voters can also cast ballots by showing their PAN card or ID cards issued by public sector companies of the state and central government.
- Hardly a contest in Mant seat - May 30, 2012
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Mamata moves to set up base in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 16, 2012
- Jayant Chaudhary quits assembly seat - Mar 20, 2012
- Mulayam sacks close Akhilesh aide in UP - Sep 10, 2012
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Trinamool complains to EC against money power in UP polls - Feb 16, 2012
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Trinamool wins both seats in Bengal assembly by-polls - Jun 15, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh set to vote amid hung house prediction - Feb 07, 2012
- Will consult Trinamool on presidential candidate: Mulayam - Jun 13, 2012
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Congress could be eyeing SP as alternative ally (News Analysis) - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, chowdhary, commission officials, congress candidate, core team member, election commission, jayant, legislative assembly, Lok Sabha, mant, mathura, party candidate, public sector companies, rld, state assembly, sundar, trinamool congress