Brisk start to sixth phase of UP pollsFebruary 28th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 28 (IANS) The penultimate phase of the Uttar Pradesh elections got off to a brisk start Tuesday with an impressive 9.7 voter turnout in the first two hours of polling across 68 assembly constituencies spread across 13 districts in the western part of the state.
Polling for the sixth phase of the seven-phased elections opened at 7 a.m.
“While the overall turnout was estimated at 9.7 percent at 9 a.m. this morning, the highest polling was reported from Hathras where a record 20 percent was witnessed during the first two hours of the poll,” Uttar Pradesh chief electoral officer Umesh Sinha told IANS here.
“Even in other places like Baghpat and Muzaffarnagar, the turnout stood at about 15 percent while Agra recorded nine percent,” he said.
About 2.11 crore voters are expected to cast their vote at 21,317 polling stations spread across the districts of Saharanpur, Prabudh Nagar, Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Baghpat, Ghaziabad, Gautam Budh Nagar, Panchseel Nagar, Bulandshahr, Aligarh, Mahamaya Nagar, Mathura and Agra.
Though the belt is notorious for its feudal traditions, this phase has 9,391,585 women listed as voters, the highest, besides 712 eunuchs.
- Brisk polling in round six of UP polls (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Steady, brisk polling in round 6 of UP polls (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- UP polls: 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Voting in UP polls second phase begins - Feb 11, 2012
- UP voter turnout 60 percent, may rise: Poll panel (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: Facts at a glance - Apr 15, 2012
- Polling gets off to brisk start in UP's second phase (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway to be ready later this year: Official - Apr 26, 2011
- Voting picks up in UP after slow start (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Peaceful polling in UP, young Lucknow voters queue up (Third Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- 63 percent turnout in fifth phase of Bihar panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
- 57 percent turnout in UP's fourth phase: Poll panel (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: aligarh, assembly constituencies, chief electoral officer, eunuchs, gautam budh, mathura, meerut, poll, polling stations, polls, sixth phase, traditions, uttar pradesh elections, vote, voter turnout