Brisk polling in Neyattinkara by-electionJune 2nd, 2012 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 2 (IANS) Despite lashing rain, people turned out in large numbers to cast their votes Saturday morning at all the 143 polling booths in the Neyattinkara assembly by-election.
Polling began at 7 a.m. and after two hours, 17.60 percent voters had cast their votes, said the chief electoral officer. Polling closes at 5 p.m.
The total number of voters in Neyattinkara constituency is 164,856 — 85,441 women and 79,415 men.
In this triangular fight, former union minister and Bharatiya Janata Party candidate O. Rajagopal poses a challenge to F. Lawrence of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and R. Selvaraj of the Congress party.
Selvaraj became a Congress candidate after quitting the CPI-M in March. He had won the April 2011 assembly election with 6,702 votes.
That time, the total voters in the constituency were 157,004, of which 71.15 percent had cast their votes.
- About 80 percent turnout in Kerala bypoll (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Congress to field ex-CPI-M legislator in Kerala by-poll - Apr 25, 2012
- BJP the dark horse in Kerala by-election - Jun 01, 2012
- Neyattinkara to go to polls June 2 - Apr 24, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- CPI-M leads in Neyattinkara by-election - Jun 15, 2012
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Neyattinkara, land of uprisings, set for another battle (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 20, 2012
- Congress wins bypoll in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Selvaraj, now of Congress, writes himself into a record - Jun 18, 2012
- Legislator's resignation triggers war of words - Mar 10, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Record polling in Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- UDF wins Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: assembly election, bharatiya janata party, chief electoral officer, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress candidate, congress party, constituency, CPI, large numbers, lashing rain, party candidate, polling booths, rain people, rajagopal, saturday morning, selvaraj, union minister