Brisk ballotting in UP polls (Lead)March 3rd, 2012 - 11:23 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 3 (IANS) Brisk polling took place Saturday in the seventh and final phase of Uttar Pradesh’s staggered elections in 60 assembly seats across 10 districts. Two polling officers died of heart attack while 17 women constables going for polling duty were injured in an accident.
Voting at 9 a.m. was 10.06 percent.
As many as 17 women constables headed for polling duty were injured Saturday in Moradabad when a mini-bus carrying them overturned.
The women, who are undergoing police training, were on their way to polling stations for election duty when their vehicle turned turtle, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Moradabad) Amitabh Yash told IANS that while 14 were discharged after first aid, three women constables had “slightly serious injuries”.
The returning officers at two booths — one each in Bijnor and Moradabad — died of heart attack late Friday night.
Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Umesh Sinha said that following the deaths, alternate arrangements were made at both the booths so that the voting process was not hampered.
The electorate numbering 18,227,281 — men 10,024,588, women 8,201,987 and others 706 — will seal the fate of 962 candidates, including 100 women candidates.
The political parties contesting in this phase include Bahujan Samaj Party, Bharatiya Janata Party, Congress, Nationalist Congress Party and Samajwadi Party.
The number of EVMs being used in this phase is 48,533, while the total number of polling stations are 18,957.
The assembly constituencies with maximum number of candidates are Bithari Chainpur and Bareilly Cantt, both in Bareilly district, with 27 in the fray while Gunnaur (Badaun) with seven candidates is the constituency with minimum number of candidates.
Votes for the 403 assembly constituencies will be counted March 6.
- Voting picks up in UP seventh phase poll (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Seventh phase of UP polls - facts at a glance - Mar 01, 2012
- Polling begins for UP elections' last phase - Mar 03, 2012
- Hundreds of thousands vote in UP (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Polls to five assemblies begins with Assam (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Polling begins for UP election's fourth phase - Feb 19, 2012
- Polling begins for UP election's fifth phase - Feb 23, 2012
- Polling begins for first phase of Assam elections - Apr 04, 2011
- Over 84 percent turnout in fourth phase of West Bengal polls - May 03, 2011
- Peaceful start to UP elections, 62 percent turnout (Evening Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Brisk polling in Neyattinkara by-election - Jun 02, 2012
- Polling begins in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- Voting starts in Goa (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Peaceful voting, 80 percent turnout in Bengal (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth phase of UP poll (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: 100 women, alternate arrangements, amitabh, assembly constituencies, assembly seats, bareilly, bijnor, chief electoral officer, constables, deputy inspector general, janata party, moradabad, nationalist congress party, party congress, police training, polling stations, returning officers, Samajwadi Party, umesh, yash