Brinda Karat demands fresh probe into Mecca Masjid blastMay 6th, 2010 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Brinda Karat Thursday demanded fresh probe into Mecca Masjid blast in the light of new evidence of links with the Ajmer Sharif blasts.
Raising the issue during the zero hour in the Rajya Sabha, she demanded compensation for 75 Muslim youth “arrested and tortured” after the blast in Hyderabad’s Mecca Masjid in 2007.
Nine people were killed in the blast during Friday prayers in the 17th century mosque May 18, 2007. Five people were killed in the subsequent police firing on protestors outside the mosque.
The blast at Ajmer dargah later that year killed three people.
Rajasthan police last week arrested Devender Gupta and Chandrasekhar, both members of a right wing group Abhinav Bharat, in connection with Ajmer blast.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has hinted at similarities between the two blasts.
Karat urged the government to order probe into “the acts of terror in the name of Hindutva”.
“It seems that there is a network of groups operating in different parts of the country who are committed to the acts of terror in the name of Hindutva. The government should institute an enquiry into this,” she said.
“These highly condemnable anti-national acts of terror and bomb blasts in places of worship like the sufi shrine in Ajmer or the masjid in Hyderabad were committed by groups acting in the name of Hindutva.”
Earlier in the Malegaon bomb blasts in 2006 and again 2008 in Malegaon and Modasa groups again acting in the name of Hindutva have been implicated.
Recently it was reported that the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh has expelled one of its workers for his involvement following the investigations, she added.
Karat wondered how immediately after the bomb blasts top government ministers and officials immediately linked the blasts to members of the Muslim community alleging links with the Harkat-ul Jihad-al Islami and the Lashkar-e-Toiba.
- RSS' Aseemanand charged for Mecca Masjid blast (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Muslim groups demand fresh probe into Mecca Masjid blast - May 03, 2010
- Mecca Masjid blast accused sent to judicial custody - Jan 18, 2012
- Bomb for bomb - Aseemanand confesses bombings to target Muslims (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- CBI to quiz Ajmer blast accused on Mecca Masjid attack - Jun 11, 2010
- Aseemanand confesses to his involvement in Samjhauta, Ajmer blasts - Jan 07, 2011
- Mecca Masjid blast anniversary passes off peacefully - May 18, 2011
- Deal firmly with Hindutva terror, says CPI-M - May 13, 2010
- Samjhauta blasts probe moving at snail's pace: Pakistan - Jan 14, 2011
- Rajasthan ATS files 806-page chargesheet in 2007 Ajmer blast case - Oct 23, 2010
- Murder charges filed against Aseemanand for Mecca Masjid blast - May 16, 2011
- India says 'too premature' to share Samjhauta probe details - Jan 11, 2011
- Report on police firing after Mecca Masjid blast submitted - Oct 16, 2010
- Mecca blast accused sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Samjhauta blasts leaks Congress bid to divert attention: BJP - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: ajmer sharif, bharat, blast during, bomb blasts, brinda karat, central bureau of investigation, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dargah, government ministers, harkat ul, hindutva, lashkar e toiba, mecca masjid blast, muslim community, muslim youth, national acts, rajya sabha, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, zero hour