Brief profile of UPA presidential candidate Pranab MukherjeeJune 15th, 2012 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) Here is a brief profile of Pranab Mukherjee, the United Progressive Alliance’s presidential candidate for the poll to be held July 19.
Name: Pranab Mukherjee
Father’s Name: Late Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee
Mother’s Name: Late Rajlakshmi Mukherjee
Date of Birth: Dec 11, 1935
Place of Birth: Mirati, Kirnahar, District Birbhum, West Bengal
Marital Status: Married on July 13, 1957
Spouse: Suvra Mukherjee
Children: Two sons and a daughter
Educational Qualifications: M.A. (History), M.A. (Political Science), L.L.B, D. Ltt.(Honoris Causa)
Educated at: Vidyasagar College, Suri Calcutta University, West Bengal
Profession: Teacher, Journalist and Author
Positions Held: * Deputy Central Minister, Industrial Development from February 1973 to January 1974.
* Deputy Central Minister, Shipping and Transport from January 1974 to October 1974.
* Minister of State for Finance from October 1974 to December 1975.
* Minister of Revenue and Banking (Independent Charge) from December 1975 to March 1977.
* Cabinet Minister of Commerce and Steel and Mines from January 1980 to January 1982.
* Cabinet Minister of Finance from January 1982 to December 1984.
* Additional charge of Ministry of Commerce and Supply from September to December 1984.
* Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission from June 1991 to May 1996.
* Cabinet Minister of Commerce from January 1993 to February 1995.
* Cabinet Minister of External Affairs from February 1995 to May 1996.
* Cabinet Minister of Defence from May 2004 to October 2006
* Cabinet Minister of External Affairs from October 2006 to May 2009
* Cabinet Minister of Finance from January 2009 to present.
In Parliament: * Elected to Rajya Sabha July, 1969.
* Re-elected to Rajya Sabha 1975, 1981, 1993 and 1999.
* Elected to 14th Lok Sabha in 2004 and Reelected to 15th Lok Sabha in 2009.
* Leader of the Lok Sabha since 2004.
- N.K.P. Salve, ex-minister and former BCCI chief, dead (Second Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Thumbnail sketches of India's new cabinet ministers - May 27, 2009
- Pranab leaves active politics: End of an era - Jun 25, 2012
- Mukherjee is point person again on matters economic (Profile) - May 23, 2009
- Pranab named for president, trips Mamata with wide support (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Politician nonpareil becomes constitutional guardian (Profile) - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee gets additional charge of finance ministry - Jan 23, 2009
- Former Kerala CM Karunakaran dies after prolonged illness - Dec 23, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee: Government's No.2 is Nation's No.1 (Profile) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mukherjee to hold pre-budget consultations with Congress leaders - Feb 15, 2011
- Know your prime minister - May 21, 2009
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Pranab's village in Bengal celebrates his candidature - Jun 15, 2012
- 'I am deeply pained to learn of Karunakaran's demise', says Krishna - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: cabinet minister, calcutta university, deputy chairman, educational qualifications, honoris, kamada, ltt, minister of commerce, minister of defence, minister of external affairs, minister of finance, minister of revenue, minister of state, ministry of commerce, planning commission, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, west bengal