Both houses adjourned, two bills quickly passed (Third Lead)September 4th, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Continuing protests by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over coal block allocations Tuesday forced the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha to adjourn for the day but not before the respective presiding officers quickly ensured the passage of a bill in each house.
In the Rajya Sabha, which met after repeated adjournments at 4 p.m., the house passed The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, within a few minutes as the BJP kept up its protests.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad introduced the bill that seeks to establish similar premier medical institutes in six cities. Deputy ChairmanP.J. Kurien, who was presiding, ensured that the bill was passed and then adjourned the house for the day.
Earlier, at 2 p.m. when the minister had tried to introduce the bill, the BJP had drowned out his speech in loud protests, forcing Kurien to adjourn the house for two hours. The bill has already been passed by the Lok Sabha.
Earlier, the Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day amid continuous din after it met at 12 noon after one adjournment.
The BJP members kept up their chant demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation over the government auditor’s report alleging large scale irregularities in allocating coal blocks.
Ignoring the shouting, Congress MP P.C. Chacko, who was in the chair, got passed the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, Bill 2012. With this, both houses of parliament have cleared the bill, which was earlier passed by the upper house.
The AIADMK members were holding placards protesting the forthcoming visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to India on Sep 21 for a Buddhist celebration.
“Don’t allow Rajapaksa in Buddha celebrations at Madhya Pradesh on Sep 21,” the placards read.
Parliament’s monsoon session is set to end on Sep 7. This session has so far seen nine successive working days lost due to the BJP’s protests.
- BJP protests stall parliament again (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- BJP protests force Lok Sabha to adjourn for day (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Day 10: parliament disrupted again - Sep 04, 2012
- Parliament adjourned over 'quit PM' demand (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP stalls parliament again over 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, bharatiya janata party, forthcoming visit, ghulam nabi azad, government auditor, india institute, institute of mental health, kurien, Lok Sabha, loud protests, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan singh, medical institutes, monsoon session, national institute of mental health, president mahinda rajapaksa, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, sri lankan president