Borders of four states to be sealed before pollsApril 3rd, 2009 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Agra, April 3 (IANS) The borders of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana will be sealed 24 hours before polls in these states, police officers of the states decided at a meeting here.
Agra is a district in Uttar Pradesh that borders the other three states. Senior police officers from these neighbouring districts in these states attended the meeting, where it was decided that the borders would be closed every time, 24 hours before any of these districts went to the polls this month and the next.
“The plan was worked out on Wednesday when officers from the neighbouring districts in the four states discussed the arrangements and requirements to effectively put the plan in action to ensure free and fair poll,” a senior police officer in Agra told IANS.
He said the borders of Bhind and Morena districts in Madhya Pradesh, Dholpur and Bharatpur in Rajasthan and Palwal in Haryana will be sealed 24 hours before the polls. Vehicles will be allowed to move on the highways only after scrutiny.
The police officers exchanged lists of people with criminal records and plan to detain them. They also plan to raid liquor stills and illegal arms manufacturing units.
“Officials of these districts will remain in constant touch with one another through a network of wireless and mobile phones, and promptly exchange information about criminal movements or activities,” the officer said.
- Dreaded Chambal dacoit killed in shootout - Mar 05, 2012
- Fugitive tiger returns to Rajasthan - Oct 17, 2010
- Millions throng Mathura, Vrindavan for special prayers - Apr 26, 2010
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Four bandits gunned down in Madhya Pradesh - Aug 22, 2010
- Two Tamil Nadu businessmen held captive near Agra? - Jan 13, 2011
- Mathura tiger eludes, may be close to Rajasthan border - Oct 07, 2010
- Brisk polling on in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Senior Rajasthan official held for corruption - Aug 17, 2012
- On-duty cop thrown off house roof in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 09, 2012
- Malnutrition harming Madhya Pradesh kids: Unicef - Sep 06, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi visits Rajasthan's violence-hit areas - Oct 09, 2011
- Lawlessness on rise in Madhya Pradesh (Madhya Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 10, 2012
- Spotlight on lawlessness, illegal mining in Madhya Pradesh (Madhya Pradesh Newsletter) (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Foundation laid by Rajiv Gandhi: A bridge on paper - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: bharatpur, borders, constant touch, criminal records, dholpur, four states, highways, illegal arms, liquor, mobile phones, morena, neighbouring districts, palwal, police officer, police officers, poll, polls, rajasthan, scrutiny, three states