Boos and cheers greet Bobby Jindal as Obama visits his turfOctober 16th, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 16 (IANS) Louisiana’s Indian-American Republican governor Bobby Jindal was first booed and then cheered at a town hall meeting when President Barack Obama came visiting to Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.
Democrat Obama himself was taken by surprise as Jindal’s name was met with a resounding chorus of boos when he mentioned the governor at a meeting at the University of New Orleans Thursday.
“No, no, Bob is doing a good job,” the president responded. “Bobby, if it makes you feel any better I get that all the time,” he continued, and the crowd laughed.
More seriously, he added, “Even though we have our differences politically, one thing I will say is that this person is working hard on behalf of the state, and you gotta give people credit for working hard.” This time, the audience cheered.
The president promised New Orleans residents his administration would never forget the city. Obama noted that sewers and roads damaged by Hurricane Katrina still need to be repaired. Houses and hospitals are still vacant, he said. And schools and neighbourhoods are waiting to thrive again.
“I promise you this,” Obama said. “Together we will rebuild this region and we will build it stronger than before.” He announced a new working group to coordinate restoration projects across the Gulf Coast.
The president also touted the progress made in the city since he became president: Reconstruction projects have moved forward that had stalled due to disagreements over whether the state or federal government would foot the bill.
And his administration has sent more than $1.4 billion in additional federal aid toward repairing and rebuilding Louisiana.
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Over a million homes without power in storm-hit US states - Aug 31, 2012
- Over 150,000 without power in Bobby Jindal's Louisiana - Sep 03, 2012
- Obama assures hurricane hit Louisiana of federal help - Sep 04, 2012
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Hundreds evacuated as storm floods homes in Bobby Jindal's state - Aug 30, 2012
- Bobby Jindal endorses Rick Perry for president - Sep 13, 2011
- Jindal defends Romney visit to Louisiana - Sep 01, 2012
- Jindal is cracking down on fake bath salts used by drug dealers - Jan 12, 2011
- Jindal calls Obama 'most liberal, most incompetent' - Jun 09, 2012
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Obama unconnected to reality: Bobby Jindal - Nov 13, 2010
- Governor Bobby Jindal Elated Over Replacement Of Charity Hospital - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: barack obama, bobby jindal, boos, cheers, democrat, disagreements, good job, gulf coast, hurricane katrina hit new orleans, katrina hit new orleans, neighbourhoods, new working group, orleans residents, rebuilding louisiana, reconstruction projects, republican governor, restoration projects, sewers, town hall, university of new orleans