Bollywood stars add glamour to Bengal campaignApril 20th, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 20 (IANS) Adding glamour to the Lok Sabha campaign, a host of Bollywood celebrities has descended on West Bengal to woo the electorate.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, in the fray from Jangipur in Murshidabad district, roped in veteran star Mithun Chakraborty to sway the voters in the remote rural constituency last weekend.
The news of Mithun’s arrival created a sensation among the public, leading to a near-stampede at the venues.
Amidst the pandemonium, Mukherjee himself could not reach one of the meeting sites, unable to pass through the milling crowd.
“I have come here because I have lot of respect for Pranabda,” Mithun said, as the crowd seemed to go berserk at the sight of their hero.
“I want Pranabda to occupy a high post after the elections,” Mithun said, triggering spontaneous applause from the audience.
Bengal’s own Mithun also rushed to Krishnanagar in Nadia district to canvas for fellow film actor and Trinamool Congress candidate Tapas Pal Sunday and again received an enthusiastic response.
Former glamour queen Zeenat Aman trudged to Purulia and proved a big crowd puller during a roadshow for Congress nominee Shantiram Mahato.
People scaled walls, crowded rooftops and windows for a glimpse of the actress, once the heartthrob of the youth for her sizzling performances in films like “Qurbani”, “Satyam Shivam Sundaram”, and “Hare Rama Hare Krishna”.
Last week Trinamool Congress candidate from Kolkata North Sudip Bandopadhyay brought in Mumbai actors like Asrani and Prem Chopra.
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Trinamool won't back Congress for Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 13, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
- Left in dilemma over support to Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab vs Mamata: A tale of differences behind show of bonhomie - Jun 14, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- Congress withdraws, Trinamool candidates elected unopposed to RS (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Pranab welcomes Trinamool decision - Jul 17, 2012
- Mamata holds sway at mammoth party rally - Jul 21, 2011
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to discuss developments - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: asrani, bollywood celebrities, congress candidate, crowd puller, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, fellow film, glamour queen, hare rama hare krishna, Lok Sabha, meeting sites, milling crowd, mithun chakraborty, pranab mukherjee, prem chopra, satyam shivam sundaram, spontaneous applause, trinamool congress, west bengal, zeenat aman