Bollywood hails Anna Hazare’s successApril 9th, 2011 - 3:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Bollywood celebrities like Anupam Kher, Pritish Nandy and Vivek Oberoi who were in support of social activist Anna Hazare have lauded his victory in the campaign for a stringent Lokpal Bill to battle corruption.
Filmmaker Pritish Nandy, who flew down to the capital to participate in the protest at Jantar Mantar, took to social networking website Twitter after news broke out that the 72-year-old Gandhian would break his four-day long fast Saturday morning.
“So we, the people of India, won the first round in the war against corruption. All thanks to one man, Anna Hazare. For those not around on 15 August 1947 and 21 March 1977, this must be the first great people’s victory they are witnessing. I hope the cynics will now be silenced. Those who kept saying that victory against the State was a pipe dream (sic),” posted Nandy.
Veteran actor Anupam Kher, composer Vishal Dadlani and filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar, who were also among those from the film fraternity who supported the movement in person, too were ecstatic.
“It is PEOPLE’S VICTORY led by a 73yrs youngest man in India, ANNA HAZARE. Thank you for leading us. New journey begins. All the best to US (sic),” wrote Kher.
Bhandarkar, who is known for his socially relevant films, wrote: “Finally Victory to Anna & all the Indians who supported lok pal bill with power & determination. Also many thanks to media for keeping the anti corruption fire burning across India. Jai hind.”
Dadlani posted: “JAI HO! Anna Hazare has won for us. The first steps in the revolution of the Indian mind have been taken. Don’t let the momentum drop! This calls for a celebration bigger than the World Cup Win!!! Jai HO!!! Bharatmata ki Jai!!.”
Singer Kailash Kher, who was scheduled to perform in Mumbai Saturday in support of the movement, will now perform to celebrate its victory.
“Congratulation to all Indians for winning this fight now there will be less corruption assured. Our performance is on for celebration,” Kailash Kher tweeted.
Many other celebrities too were in a mood for celebration. Here is what they had to say on Twitter.
Diya Mirza: “I believe that this movement was not about sound bites but about covering the people’s mood. Happy that the peoples voice was heard. We went to Azad Maidan today as citizens of our country. We went to show our solidarity to Anna Hazare. The journey has just begun. Thank you MEDIA for staying true. Together we can make the change.”
Vivek Oberoi: “An incredible victory for truth! Anna Hazare zindabad!!! Bharat mata ki jai!!!”
Neha Dhupia: “Long live Anna Hazare! Jai hind!”
Aftab Shivdasani: “Modern day Gandhi - salute to Anna Hazare.. True display of courage! Salute to every democratic indian too! India shines. Amen.”
Anubhav Sinha: “Two Things. One. It is Official now that our Government is corrupt. Two. I am proud of the youth of India.”
Shreya Ghoshal: “Ecstatic at the news of our win! Long live Anna Hazare!”
Monali Thakur: “The feeling of winning against corruption is is an extraordinary feeling.. Anna Hazare we are very lucky to have u n we love u..!!”
- Bollywood gung-ho over Hazare's victory - Apr 09, 2011
- Bollywood twitterati condemns crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Bollywood hails Anna Hazare's victory; terms it a new dawn - Aug 28, 2011
- Bollywood continues to support Anna Hazare's movement - Apr 08, 2011
- Bollywood hails Anna Hazare's triumph - Apr 11, 2011
- Jai Ho! Bollywood tweets on India's World Cup victory - Apr 03, 2011
- Bollywood cheers India's 'classy' victory - Mar 31, 2011
- Bollywood extends support to Anna Hazare - Apr 06, 2011
- Celina at Azad Maidan to support Anna - Aug 21, 2011
- Proud to be Indian, tweets Bollywood - Jan 26, 2012
- Fight corruption in real life too: Anupam Kher - Apr 08, 2011
- Bollywood stars descend on Mohali for showdown - Mar 30, 2011
- Bollywood hails Anna's victory - Aug 29, 2011
- Happy Independence day, says B-town - Aug 15, 2012
- Omi Vadya hits jackpot with 'Big In Bollywood' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, anupam kher, battle corruption, bharatmata, bollywood celebrities, congratulation, cynics, gandhian, kailash kher, lok pal bill, madhur bhandarkar, mantar, nandy, networking website, new journey, pipe dream, social networking, twitter, veteran actor, vivek oberoi