Bolivian President Evo Morales kicks a player in a friendly soccer matchOctober 6th, 2010 - 7:57 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Many soccer fans were shocked when Bolivian president Evo Morales kicked the knee of an opponent in a friendly match. The video of the incident has become one of the most popular on YouTube.
Evo Morales led a team of politicians in the match against their opponents, which had Luis Revilla, the mayor of La Paz as captain. Revilla used to be an ally of Moralez but he’s now an opponent against the ruling party.
The president reportedly suffered a bad tackle just before the incident and kicked the knee of the opponent in retaliation. He stated after the match that he had been a victim of bad tackles throughout the match.
Politicians in Bolivia are at each other’s throats after the recent election. A new law, which came into effect last year, gave more power to the president and ushered Bolivia’s into its first phase of Socialism. “This was a football game and on the field we are all players,” said the mayor.
The Movement Without Fear party has been really displeased with the new laws and has now pulled out of their alliance with the ruling party to challenge him in the next elections.
- No red card for Bolivian Prez for kneeing political rival in football 'friendly'! - Oct 06, 2010
- Bolivia rains: 250 homes collapse in La Paz - Feb 28, 2011
- 350 couples marry in Bolivia - May 10, 2011
- Jose Benítez blames tap water for increase in gay population - Nov 23, 2011
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Bolivian minister quits - Sep 29, 2011
- Bolivia to buy satellite from Chinese firm - Dec 14, 2010
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- Bolivian president has knee surgery - Nov 08, 2010
- Bolivian Priest Arrested After Being Found With Cocaine - Aug 01, 2010
- Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projects - Mar 18, 2010
- Bolivia fines Chinese telecom supplier for breach of contract - Dec 23, 2010
- Priest Who Gave His Blessing To Evo Morales Found With Cocaine - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: ally, bolivia, bolivian president, evo morales, football game, friendly match, la paz, moralez, new laws, opponent, opponents, politicians, president evo morales, retaliation, revilla, ruling party, soccer fans, socialism, tackles, which came into effect