Blind man joins Orissa poll fray as he sees people’s plightApril 8th, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 8 (IANS) A visually challenged man in Orissa has thrown his hat in the election ring and hopes he would win because he can visualise the sufferings of the poor “better then others”.
Debasish Pramanik, 26, a percussionist, is contesting the assembly election as an Independent candidate from Gopalpur constituency in Ganjam district.
Pramanik, a resident of Berhampur town, some 150 km from here, has filed his nomination papers, returning officer Dhananjaya Swain told IANS.
“He came with the help of a man (to file his papers),” Swain said.
Pramanik mainly banks on door-to-door campaign to convince people to vote for him. Often without a loudspeaker, he is seen visiting house to house with the help of his friends. He demands nothing from his potential voters but a handful of rice and one rupee coin which he spends on his travel.
“I have seen the real world and can feel the suffering better then others,” says Pramanik, who lost his eye sight at the age of 12.
“I want to do something for the welfare of not only the blind but also for people (in general) and that is why I decided to contest the election,” said Pramanik, who is the secretary of district blind association.
Orissa goes to polls in two phases on April 16 and April 23 to elect 147 members to state assembly and 21 members to Lok Sabha. Gopalpur will go to poll in the first phase.
- Court orders fresh poll in Orissa assembly constituency - Jun 23, 2010
- Puducherry polls: Parties campaign door-to-door to woo voters - Mar 28, 2011
- UP elections sans fanfare this time - Jan 29, 2012
- BJD wins in Odisha - Mar 21, 2012
- Courts rejects BJP legislator's plea in Dikshit case - Apr 19, 2012
- AIUDF to campaign for RLD in UP elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Notification for second phase of West Bengal polls issued - Mar 30, 2011
- West Bengal CM files nomination papers in Jadavpore - Apr 05, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Court to hear plea against Dikshit March 29 - Mar 06, 2012
- It's now Facebook, Twitter, Youtube for candidates in local polls - Apr 06, 2012
- Gilani's son to contest for father's seat - Jun 26, 2012
- 975 candidates in fray so far for Bengal polls - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Clarify on withdrawal of case against Sheila Dikshit' - Mar 29, 2012
- Outgoing Tamil Nadu legislator's election quashed on voting day (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: assembly election, blind association, blind man, constituency, eye sight, handful of rice, independent candidate, Lok Sabha, loudspeaker, nomination papers, orissa, percussionist, plight, poll fray, pramanik, real world, returning officer, rupee, state assembly, sufferings