BJP’s Kandhamal candidate to face criminal chargesApril 12th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 12 (IANS) The Election Commission Sunday asked authorities in Orissa to add two more sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) in the criminal case filed against Ashok Sahu, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate from the Kandhamal Lok Sabha constituency, who has been booked for an inflammatory speech.
The Election Commission, which examined a CD recording of Sahu’s speech, also issued notice to him for violating the model code of conduct and asked him to reply by 3 p.m. April 15.
“The Election Commission today directed the Kandhamal district magistrate that in the criminal case filed by him against Ashok Sahu for adding two more sections 505 and 295 of IPC along with existing 125 of RPA and 153 IPC,” the commission said in a statement here.
“This decision was taken after examination of the CD today,” it said.
While section 505 of the IPC deals with the “statements conducing to public mischief”, section 295 deals with “injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class”.
At a public meeting at Raikia town April 5, Sahu had accused the church of indulging in conversion.
Kandhamal district superintendent of police S. Praveen Kumar said Saturday that a case was registered against Sahu and the matter was under investigation.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, witnessed widespread communal violence after the murder of a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader in August 2008.
At least 38 people were killed and more than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes in the violence that followed. At least 3,000 people are still living in government relief camps.
- 'People's Tribunal' to deliberate on Kandhamal riot victims complaints - Aug 20, 2010
- Sacked Rajasthan minister elected village co-op chief from jail - Dec 14, 2011
- SP leader booked for inflammatory speech - Apr 08, 2010
- Kandhamal BJP candidate arrested for hate speech - Apr 14, 2009
- BJP's Kandhamal candidate Ashok Sahu gets bail - Apr 17, 2009
- Missing nurse case committed to trial, to start April 2 - Mar 27, 2012
- Kandhamal BJP candidate arrested for communal speech (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Kandhamal BJP candidate booked for hate speech (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Kandhamal BJP candidate booked for hate speech - Apr 11, 2009
- Zakia Jaffri's charges against Modi - Mar 11, 2010
- BJP complains to poll panel over quota controversy - Feb 17, 2012
- Gulberg society killing: Accused face additional charges - Mar 10, 2011
- Book Rajasthan minister in illegal mine lease case: Court - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: ashok, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cd recording, communal violence, criminal case, district magistrate, district superintendent, election commission, government relief, indian penal code, Lok Sabha, model code, place of worship, praveen kumar, public mischief, relief camps, sabha constituency, sahu, vishwa hindu parishad