BJP’s J. Shantha allowed to vote in presidential pollJuly 12th, 2012 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday allowed J. Shantha, whose election as the BJP MP from Karnataka’s Bellary constituency has been set aside, to exercise her vote in the July 19 presidential election, but said it would not be counted till the court ordered it.
A bench of Justice T.S. Thakur and Justice Gyan Sudha Misra said that Shantha’s vote would be kept in sealed cover, and would be subject to the order of the court.
The court passed its order on Shantha’s plea seeking permission to vote in the July 19 poll to elect President Pratibha Patil’s successor.
While staying the Karnataka High Court order directing the recount of votes for Bellary Lok Sabha seat June 26, the apex court had said that Shantha can sign the attendance register and participate in the proceedings of parliament’s lower house but would not exercise her vote and will not get any remuneration.
The high court June 11 had set aside Shantha’s election on the grounds that the alleged irregularities committed during the counting materially affected the outcome of the result. Shantha, of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), was elected to Lok Sabha from Bellary (reserved) seat in the 2009 general elections.
While disqualifying Shantha, the high court had directed the returning officer to recount the votes and declare results afresh.
The court’s order came on a petition by a Congress worker M. Chandregowda who had alleged irregularities in counting of votes.
- Apex court suspends vote recount in Bellary Lok Sabha poll - Jun 26, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MP's election set aside - Jun 11, 2012
- Apex court restores Bihar MP's Lok Sabha membership (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- SC to hear plea for providing printout of votes in EVMs - Sep 13, 2012
- Apex court to hear Krishna's plea Friday - Jan 26, 2012
- Reddy brothers planning to break from BJP? - Nov 28, 2011
- Thin victory margin no ground for recounting votes: apex court - Nov 30, 2009
- Reddys' rise: Riding cycles to rattling BJP leadership - May 31, 2011
- BJP takes first step to discipline defiant Reddy brothers - Nov 25, 2011
- Use discretion to further ends of justice: Apex court - Nov 07, 2011
- SC to re-examine verdict on membership of banned outfits - Aug 13, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll on May 3 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Congress leads in Karnataka Lok Sabha bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- BJP's Shantha is sole woman to win from Karnataka - May 16, 2009
- Reddy brothers' future in BJP hinges on bypoll Wednesday - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, attendance register, bellary, bharatiya janata party, bjp, constituency, general elections, gyan, irregularities, karnataka high court, Lok Sabha, misra, president pratibha patil, presidential election, presidential poll, remuneration, returning officer, sudha, thakur