BJP’s ‘gateway to south’ turns into road to jailOctober 15th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 15 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s dream of capturing power in the four southern states by making Karnataka its “gateway to south” is turning out to be a nightmare after its first chief minister in the state B.S. Yeddyurappa was sent to jail for corruption.
The 68-year-old Yeddyurappa quit July 31 after he was indicted by the Lokayukta (ombudsman).
Three other BJP ministers are also in jail for graft, the most famous of them is mining baron G. Janardhana Reddy who is behind bars in the Chanchalaguda Jail in Hyderabad for illegal mining in Andhra Pradesh.
The first of Yeddyurappa’s ministerial colleagues to go to jail was Katta Subramanya Naidu. He was jailed on Aug 8 for taking Rs.85 crore kickback to grant 385 acres land to a software firm on the outskirts of Bangalore.
He was followed by Reddy on Sep 5.
On Saturday along with Yeddyurappa, former minister S.N. Krishnaiah Shetty was jailed for graft in illegal land denotification cases filed against them by two Bangalore advocates.
- Yeddyurappa jailed till Oct 22 in corruption cases - Oct 16, 2011
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Congress cries foul over Yeddyurappa; asks BJP to go - Oct 16, 2011
- Now Karnataka assembly speaker under police scanner - Dec 09, 2011
- With Yeddyurappa in jail, Advani roadshow to skip Bangalore - Oct 22, 2011
- Land grab probe against one more Karnataka minister - Oct 24, 2011
- Bitter 2012 for Karnataka after scandalous year (Karnataka Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011
- BJP's roll of dishonour in Karnataka keeps growing - Feb 08, 2012
- Ahead of Advani's arrival, Karnataka BJP problems mount - Oct 28, 2011
- Karnataka gets cabinet; ex-minister jailed, Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy summoned (Night Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Summons for Yeddyurappa in graft case, jail for ex-minister (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Ombudsman to act on governor's sanction against Yeddyurappa - Aug 09, 2011
- On formation day, Karnataka longs for corruption-free times - Nov 01, 2011
- BJP Karnataka lawmaker jailed, trial court cancels bail - Oct 28, 2011
- Double whammy for Karnataka BJP, from Advani and RSS (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: advocates, andhra pradesh, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, corruption, crore, graft, hyderabad, kickback, ministerial colleagues, nightmare, ombudsman, outskirts, software firm, southern states, subramanya