BJP workers court arrest in JammuJune 22nd, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 22 (IANS) Over 200 workers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led by Smriti Irani, actress and president of the party women’s wing, courted arrest Friday in Jammu as part of its nation wide campaign to protest “price rise, corruption and failure of the ruling UPA government on all fronts”.
Addressing the gathering at Dogra Chowk in the heart of Jammu city, Irani said, “Price rise, corruption and scams have broken the backbone of the common man, but in Jammu and Kashmir water scarcity and long, unscheduled power cuts are adding to the woes.”
She was accompanied by Shamsher Singh Manhas, BJP state unit president, and other senior party members.
The protestors shouted slogans as they boarded buses while courting arrest.
Irani, talking to media persons on the BJP’s support to P.A. Sangma as a presidential candidate, said: “We are proud to back a tribal leader and hope he will win.”
She dismissed the talk of division within the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance on the presidential election and said, “There is just difference of opinion, nothing else.”
The BJP’s campaign of protests and courting arrest will continue for a fortnight.
- BJP to protest if Afzal Guru not hanged - Sep 07, 2011
- Hopeful getting Mamata's support, says Pranab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Price rise: BJP stages protests across India - Jul 02, 2010
- BJP launches protest against Omar for accession remark - Nov 02, 2010
- Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against Mukherjee - Jul 05, 2012
- Jammu shuts down against fuel price hike - May 31, 2012
- Pranab responsible for economic mess, says Sangma - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- 'P.A. Sangma does not represent tribals' - Jul 02, 2012
- Jayalalithaa hails BJP support for Sangma - Jun 21, 2012
- BJP calls Jammu shutdown Thursday - Sep 29, 2010
- Sangma seeks support in Bihar - Jul 14, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chowk, common man, difference of opinion, fortnight, jammu city, kashmir, manhas, media persons, national democratic alliance, party members, presidential candidate, presidential election, protestors, shamsher singh, slogans, smriti irani, tribal leader, water scarcity, woes