BJP worker stripped and beaten by rival group in JharkhandMarch 6th, 2009 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 6 (IANS) A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activist was stripped and beaten allegedly by a rival group of the party in Deogarh district of Jharkhand, police sources said Friday.
The incident occurred Thursday at Jasidih railway station where Vishnukant Jha, former executive committee member of BJP’s youth wing, had gone to receive Nishikant Dubey, the official party candidate for the Godda Lok Sabha seat.
According to police sources, BJP workers unhappy with Dubey’s candidature had gathered at the railway station and were shouting slogans against him.
Jha opposed them and started shouting in favour of Dubey. A scuffle broke out and Jha was stripped and trashed by the rival group, police said.
He was admitted in critical condition to a nearby hospital and administered 12 stitches on his head.
Police said they had to resort to baton charge to control the situation.
But the BJP said it were Congress and Rashtriya Janata Dal activists who attacked its workers.
- End infighting, Advani tells Jharkhand BJP - Mar 07, 2009
- Jammu shuts down against fuel price hike - May 31, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar - May 31, 2012
- Delhi BJP worker killed, party councillor arrested (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- BJP activists caned in Lucknow - Mar 14, 2011
- BJP activists baton charged in Lucknow - Apr 29, 2011
- BJP activists clash with police in Kolkata - Nov 30, 2010
- Delhi Police chief meets Chidambaram - Aug 10, 2011
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- BJP celebrates 'Pride Day' in Indore, Congress protests - Nov 29, 2010
- BJP workers damage railway station in Madhya Pradesh - Feb 27, 2010
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- BJP's demonstrators baton charged in Lucknow - Dec 13, 2010
- Tricolour row: BJP activists attack J-K Finance Minister's car - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP demands Chidambaram's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: activist, activists, bharatiya janata party, bjp, candidature, congress, critical condition, executive committee member, favour, godda, jharkhand, Lok Sabha, nearby hospital, party candidate, police sources, railway station, ranchi, rival group, slogans, stitches