BJP withdraws Sangli nominee in favour of Congress rebelApril 8th, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 8 (IANS) Deepak Shinde, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate for the Sangli Lok Sabha seat, Wednesday withdrew his candidature in favour of Ajit Ghorpade, a rebel candidate who is Congress legislator from Kavathe-Mahankal.
The Congress’s official nominee is sitting MP, Pratik Patil, the grandson of late former Maharashtra chief minister Vasantrao Patil.
BJP national general secretary Gopinath Munde said in Beed that the party decided to withdraw Shinde’s candidature since it wanted to give a tough fight to the Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) alliance in western Maharashtra.
Western Maharashtra is considered the traditional bastion of the two parties, tempting the BJP to take advantage of the rebel Congress candidate to upstage the Congress-NCP there.
The Congress ticket for the Sangli seat witnessed a bitter tussle between the Patil family and that of State Co-Operation Minister Patangrao Kadam of the Congress who was trying for the party nomination in favour of his son, Vishwajeet.
In another development, the Samajwadi Party decided not to field Farhan Azmi from the Mumbai South Lok Sabha constituency.
Farhan is the son of state party president Abu Asim Azmi, who is contesting from Mumbai North-West.
Don-turned-politician and sitting legislator Arun Gawli had decided to withdraw his candidature in favour of Congress candidate Milind Deora who is contesting from Mumbai South.
- Chavan says Congress will take action against rebels within two days - Sep 30, 2009
- Congress rebel in fray to challenge President's son in polls - Sep 29, 2009
- 25 percent voting in six hours in Maharashtra (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Hazare village headman withdraws from election race - Jan 30, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia over presidential poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- 8 candidates in fray for 6 Rajya Sabha seats from Maharashtra - Mar 19, 2012
- Maharashtra Cabinet expanded to 31 ministers - Nov 19, 2010
- President's son quizzed over Rs.1 crore seizure - Feb 21, 2012
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Rebels make Goa parties wobble ahead of polls (Goa Newsletter) - Feb 17, 2012
- Shiv Sena sacks rebels, saboteurs from party - Sep 30, 2009
- Many big losers in Maharashtra polls - Oct 22, 2009
- Birthday gift for Bal Thackeray, jolt for Congress in bypoll - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: ajit, azmi, beed, bharatiya janata party, candidature, congress candidate, congress ncp, gopinath munde, kadam, Lok Sabha, maharashtra chief minister, milind deora, nationalist congress party, party nomination, party president, pratik, sabha constituency, Samajwadi Party, west don, western maharashtra