BJP wins eight seats in Jharkhand, Congress faces rout (Third Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won eight of Jharkhand’s 14 Lok Sabha seats Saturday as the Congress, facing a rout, managed to retain just one seat.
The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) won two seats, while two Independent candidates also emerged victorious. The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) of former chief minister chief minister Babulal Marandi won one seat.
The key BJP leaders who won were Yashwant Sinha from Hazaribagh, former chief minister Arjun Munda from Jamshedpur and Karia Munda from Khuti constituencies.
The BJP had won only one seat in the 2004 Lok sabha polls and it lost the lone seat in 2006 when party MP Babulal Marandi quit the party.
Independent candidate and former assembly speaker Inder Singh Namdhari, who is supported by the BJP, won from Chatra.
The Congress retained its lone seat of Ranchi as central minister Subodh Kant Sahay defeated BJP candidate Ramthal Chaudhary by over 13,000 votes.
“In Jharkhand, people were fed up with experiments made by the Congress by supporting independent legislator Madhu Koda to rule the state for nearly two years. The misrule witnessed after BJP’s rule in the state frustrated people and people expressed their anger by defeating Congress and JMM combination in the state,” said state BJP president Raghubar Das.
The JMM has won two seats, two less than their share in the 2004 Lok Sabha elections. In 2004, the Congress had won six, the JMM four and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) two.
Contesting from Dumka, JMM chief Shibu Soren won the Lok Sabha election by a margin of over 19,000 votes, defeating BJP candidate Sunil Soren. The RJD failed to open its account in Jharkhand this time around.
JVM-P president Babulal Marandi won from Koderma. All the four former chief ministers were in the poll fray and all of them - Shibu Soren (JMM), Marandi (JVM-P), Arjun Munda (BJP)and Madhu Koda (Independent) have won.
Rameshwar Oraon, central minister and Congress candidate from Lohardagga, lost the election.
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- BJP ahead in eight Jharkhand seats (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- With RS horse trading reports, Jharkhand in news for wrong reasons - Mar 31, 2012
- Soren rejects Munda's plea, JMM joins Jamshedpur by-poll (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- BJP withdraws support, Soren given week to prove majority (Roundup) - May 24, 2010
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Congress, JVM-P mull government formation without JMM - Dec 25, 2009
- Jharkhand ruling alliance bickers over by-poll - Jun 04, 2011
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- BJP wins three seats, leads in five in Jharkhand (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: arjun munda, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, bjp president, chief ministers, independent candidates, inder singh, jharkhand, jmm, lok sabha election, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, madhu koda, marandi, namdhari, poll fray, rjd, sahay, shibu soren