BJP trying to woo Trinamool Congress back to NDA?May 25th, 2012 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) A day after Bharatiya Janata Party chief Nitin Gadkari called for expanding the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the party Friday lavished praise on Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee.
In what may be seen as an effort to woo back old ally Trinamool Congress, the NDA’s working chairman L.K. Advani, in his valedictory speech to the BJP national executive meet, lauded Banerjee for leading her party to victory in West Bengal.
Advani appreciated how the party brought an end to the 35-year rule of the Communist Party of India-Marxist-led Left Front in the state.
Meanwhile, BJP spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad claimed Banerjee was feeling “suffocated” in the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
“She was our alliance partner, we respected her a lot. She is now feeling suffocated inside the UPA,” he said.
The Trinamool Congress was a constituent of the NDA, but withdrew in 2007, and joined the UPA before the 2009 general elections.
The relations between the Trinamool Congress and the Congress are at present going through a rough patch, with the latter even blaming Banerjee’s party for stopping key economic reform measures.
Advani also lauded Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Mulayam Singh Yadav for making his party emerge as the largest in Uttar Pradesh. The SP is being wooed by the Congress which is afraid the Trinamool Congress may withdraw support to the central government.
- Raisina Hill race: Trinamool may tap NDA for support - Jun 18, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP to send Swamy as emissary to Mulayam - Jun 15, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- President's poll: BJP core committee to meet Monday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Countdown begins, presidential poll on July 19 (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Congress could be eyeing SP as alternative ally (News Analysis) - Jan 04, 2012
- Congress wooing Mulayam with polls in mind - May 23, 2012
Tags: alliance partner, central government, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, economic reform measures, general elections, janata party, l k advani, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, national executive, party chief, prasad, progressive alliance, ravi shankar, rough patch, trinamool congress, valedictory speech, west bengal, yadav