BJP to wait till Congress names presidential candidateMay 3rd, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) The BJP remained tight-lipped over presidential candidates after the fall out with allies on comments against Vice President Hamid Ansari’s candidature, with the top leadership now deciding to wait and watch till Congress discloses its candidates.
The party is likely to disclose its stand only after Congress declares who the candidate will be, said sources.
“There is still time before the election, we will see who the candidate is, and then decide whom we want to field,” a party leader told IANS on condition of anonymity.
The party leader also defended Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj saying she did not mean to make any inappropriate comment on the vice president, but her comment got paraphrased wrongly.
A cautious party spokesperson Sayed Shanawaz Hussain, however, said that the issue was not taken up in the parliamentary party meeting Thursday morning and the party had nothing to say on the issue.
Differences emerged between BJP and JD-U over Sushma Swaraj’s comment on the vice-president that he did not have the stature for being a president.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U), a key ally of BJP, has differed with the party in supporting names doing the rounds as probable Congress candidates without discussing the matter in NDA.
BJP is, however, confident of its ally standing by its side in the voting.
“If there is no consensus, our allies will be with us definitely in the presidential polls,” a party leader said.
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Presidential poll: Rift in NDA, Left may support Congress (Third Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Congress seems ahead in presidential sweepstakes, BJP stuck - May 03, 2012
- BJP, JD-U go different ways on next president (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: allies, ally, anonymity, candidature, congress candidates, doing the rounds, hussain, jd, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, parliamentary party, party leader, party spokesperson, presidential candidate, presidential candidates, presidential polls, stature, sushma swaraj, thursday morning