BJP to raise Wikileaks detail on payoffs in parliamentMarch 17th, 2011 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) Revelations in leaked US diplomatic cables through Wikileaks that cash had been paid to MPs for the 2008 confidence vote on the civil nuclear deal with the US will be raised in parliament Thursday, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said.
“The Wikileaks details in today’s (Thursday) Hindu about payoffs to MPs are shocking. I will raise this issue in Parliament today,” the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader of said on her Twitter account.
According to BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar, “the truth has been revealed”. “They abused the democratic process by bribing the MPs,” he said.
The Wikileaks diplomatic cables published by Hindu newspaper quoted the political aide of Congress leader Satish Sharma as saying that a fund of Rs.50 crore had been formed to pay MPs for the confidence vote.
A US embassy official was apparently shown with two chests of cash in the political aide’s house, kept for the payoffs.
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D. Raja said the government should make an explanation on the Wikileaks in the house.
“It is more appropriate for the PM (Prime Minister Manmohan Singh) to come to the house and explain his position,” he said.
- Wikileaks disclosures: BJP demands UPA government's resignation - Mar 17, 2011
- PM to make statement on Wiki expose, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Opposition wants PM to go over alleged parliament payoffs (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- United opposition walks out over 'vote-for-cash' WikiLeaks - Mar 17, 2011
- No comments on Wikileaks: US embassy - Mar 17, 2011
- PM on Wiki disclosures: I have not authorised anyone to purchase votes - Mar 18, 2011
- BJP to move privilege motion against PM - Mar 18, 2011
- Government must go, says opposition after WikiLeaks disclosures (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Welcome debate on WikiLeaks revelation: Bansal - Mar 18, 2011
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- PM 'rejects firmly' bribery allegation on 2008 trust vote (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Nachiketa denies all information about payoffs to MPs - Mar 17, 2011
- PM has no authority to continue: Third Front - Mar 17, 2011
- WikiLeaks disclosure: Allegations totally baseless, says Sharma - Mar 17, 2011
- Sushma defends TV sting ahead of July 2008 trust vote - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, confidence vote, congress leader, crore, embassy official, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, nuclear deal, payoffs, prakash, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rs 50, satish sharma, sushma swaraj, twitter, wikileaks