BJP to make VHP leader’s murder poll issue in Orissa (Lead)March 16th, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday declared that it would make the killing of a senior Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati a poll issue in Orissa.
Launching the election campaign for the party here, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj blamed Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the murder of the VHP leader.
“Though there was a threat to the life of Saraswati, the Naveen Patnaik government failed to give him protection,” she charged.
She also blamed Patnaik for his failure to arrest the killers of the VHP leader.
“Those who should have been behind the bars are moving scot free and our workers are in jail,” she said, appealing to people to vote for a party that would arrest the killers of Saraswati.
The VHP leader and four of his aides were killed on Aug 23 last year in Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here. The murder triggered widespread violence against Christians in the state, especially in Kandhamal.
Terming the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) government as “betrayer”, Swaraj told a gathering of thousands at the ‘Vijay Sankalp’ (victory resolution) rally that the BJP was determined to teach the chief minister a lesson.
It was the first mass gathering by the BJP in the state after its 11-year alliance with the BJD led by Naveen Patnaik collapsed March 7.
“I have come here to tell Naveen Patnaik that people will not tolerate him and throw him out of power,” Swaraj said in her speech in Hindi. Swaraj also blamed the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) for being soft on terrorism.
“There was a stronger law to deal with terrorism but the UPA government abolished it,” Swaraj said, referring to the Prevention of Terrorism Act.
Orissa will go to the polls for Lok Sabha and assembly in two phases April 16 and 23.
- Sushma Swaraj launches BJP poll campaign in Orissa - Mar 16, 2009
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- VHP leader's murder, riots major issues in Orissa - Apr 07, 2009
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
Tags: aides, betrayer, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, christians, election campaign, killers, Lok Sabha, orissa, poll issue, prevention of terrorism, progressive alliance, resolution rally, swami, terrorism act, UPA, vijay, violence against, vishwa hindu parishad