BJP to hold public meetings on power tariff June 14June 11th, 2010 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday said it will hold public meetings at prominent places in the city June 14 to protest the Delhi government for helping power companies in their demand for hike in power tariff.
The party said “Janpanchayats” will be held at 15 prominent places in Delhi and a BJP delegation will also meet Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna the next day on the issue.
“The government has not withdrawn its letter May 4 directing the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) not to decrease power tariff. Why the chief minister is acting like a chief executive officer of the power companies?” BJP leaders Vijendra Gupta and Vijay Kumar Malhotra said in a joint statement.
A day before the scheduled announcement of the new reduced tariff, the government directed the DERC to withhold the order till it gave the regulator the go-ahead. The DERC had said there was a need to reduce tariff rates in the capital.
The three power companies - BSES Yamuna, BSES Rajdhani and North Delhi Power Limited (NDPL) - have been asking for hike in power tariff in the capital, saying they are running into a combined loss of Rs.2,600 crore.
The two leaders said the party will continue to fight for the common man until the power tariff for the current year is reduced by 20 percent.
“We will not allow the government and the power companies to blackmail the people of Delhi on the ground that holding of Commonwealth Games depends on the ability of the discoms to purchase power for the city,” they added.
- BJP to protest Delhi blocking lower power tariff - Jun 06, 2010
- Regulator to decide new power tariff in Delhi: Dikshit - Jun 05, 2010
- Stand on power tariff in three days, Dikshit tells BJP - Jun 08, 2010
- No change in power tariff in Delhi till CWG (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- 'CAG to audit accounts of Delhi discoms' - Mar 12, 2012
- No power tariff hike in Delhi this year: Dikshit - Jul 05, 2010
- Delhi agrees to CAG audit of power companies - Sep 14, 2011
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Global image prompted stand on power tariff: Delhi government - Jun 10, 2010
- Delhi power discoms seek hike in electricity prices - May 06, 2010
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Court questions delay in naming Delhi power regulator chief - Jan 21, 2011
- Delhi to extend financial help to BSES - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, bses rajdhani, chief executive officer, chief minister, common man, commonwealth games, delhi electricity regulatory commission, delhi government, electricity regulatory commission, lieutenant governor, ndpl, north delhi, power tariff, public meetings, rs 2, tariff rates, tejendra khanna, vijay kumar, vijay kumar malhotra