BJP to boycott CNN-IBN for not airing cash-for-votes stingJuly 31st, 2008 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday declared that it would “boycott” television channel CNN-IBN and its affiliated channels for not telecasting a sting they had conducted on the cash-for-votes controversy. “The BJP has been compelled to decide that it will boycott CNN-IBN and channels related to it till such time as the unedited tapes of the ‘notes-for-votes’ scandal are telecast,” senior party leader M. Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He said he was “deeply dismayed” over the channel’s decision not to telecast the sting operation that allegedly showed how three BJP MPS were bribed to abstain from the floor test on July 22 that the ruling Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) won.
He said that till the tapes are telecast, no BJP functionary in Delhi or in the states would appear on CNN-IBN programmes, whether in the studios or outside.
“The BJP believes that the channel’s decision to withhold the tapes from the public seriously compromises the freedom of press,” he said.
Naidu also regretted that instead of upholding the right to information, “CNN-IBN has resorted to the suppression of truth”.
A seven-member Lok Sabha committee is probing the matter and has summoned the three BJP MPs - Ashok Argal, Fagan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - Friday.
The three MPs, who waved wads of cash in the Lok Sabha shortly before the Manmohan Singh government was to face the trust vote, accused Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary Ahmad Patel of offering them bribes to abstain.
The BJP has claimed that the MPs were offered Rs.90 million and were paid Rs.10 million each as advance.
Amar Singh and Ahmed Patel - both Rajya Sabha members - have denied the charge.
The committee is also expected to summon reporters of the CNN-IBN television channel, which has already handed over its recordings to the Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee.
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh to appear in court Tuesday - Sep 05, 2011
- Congress MP who probed cash-for-votes scam wants deeper inquiry (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes money must have come from BJP: Jethmalani - Sep 12, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh, three others summoned - Aug 25, 2011
- Court defers Hindustani's bail plea till Sep 20 - Sep 16, 2011
- Amar Singh being made scapegoat: Mohan Singh - Sep 06, 2011
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- No prima facie evidence against Amar Singh: K.C. Deo - Jul 19, 2011
- Make me cash-for-vote scam witness, not accused: Kulkarni - Oct 01, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- CNN-IBN not cooperating in graft probe: Jharkhand - Nov 25, 2010
- Whose frontman were you: BJP, Left ask Amar Singh - Sep 06, 2011
- Highlights of court order on bail for 6 in cash-for-votes - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash for votes: Amar Singh, two others arrested, jailed - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: ahmed patel, amar singh, argal, bharatiya janata party, cnn, cnn ibn, congress president sonia gandhi, freedom of press, Lok Sabha, mahavir, manmohan, manmohan singh, political secretary, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, somnath, sting operation, television channel, trust vote, venkaiah naidu