BJP terms petro hike ‘economic terror’June 4th, 2008 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) The hike in petrol, diesel and cooking gas prices announced by the government was “unleashing of economic terror on the nation”, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said Wednesday. “The decision of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA), chaired by the prime minister (Manmohan Singh), to jack up the prices of petrol, diesel and cooking gas is shocking. The UPA government has unleashed economic terror on the nation. Today’s decision defies all economic logic,” said BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
“The prime minister, who has been obviously hiding so far under the garb of economic growth, stands completely exposed… They (the ruling United Progressive Alliance-UPA) have messed up the country’s economy,” he added.
The government Wednesday announced a hike of Rs.5 per litre for petrol, Rs.3 per litre for diesel and Rs.50 per cylinder for cooking gas.
Terming the fuel price hike as the last straw for the UPA government, he said: “The disdainful insensitivity exhibited to the ‘aam admi’ (the common man) will trigger mass unrest for which the UPA government will be solely responsible.
“Instead of sermonising, the prime minister should rather introspect on his ability to govern, must apologise to the nation and quit,” Rudy said, referring to Manmohan Singh’s address before an industry body Tuesday saying the price hike was inevitable.
“The Left have to equally apportion the blame of this sinister game played by the UPA government and in no way can absolve themselves. The country is fully aware of their hypocritical action and they stand completely exposed,” he said.
The Left parties, which extend support to the Congress-led UPA from outside, have criticised the price rise.
The BJP directed all its district-level units across the country to hold protest demonstrations at respective district headquarters and submit a memorandum demanding immediate withdrawal of the price hike.
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Decision on fuel prices deferred, CCPA meet postponed - Sep 11, 2012
- BJP alleges conspiracy in fuel price hike, blames PM (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Will analyse diesel price hike effect: Dikshit - Jul 04, 2011
- Petrol price hiked Rs.5 per litre; opposition, people fume (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
- When will prices come down, BJP asks PM - Jun 26, 2010
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012
- Reduction in petrol prices positive: Mamata - Nov 16, 2011
- BJP protests petrol price hike in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 15, 2010
- BJP uses horse carts to protest fuel price hike - Jul 01, 2010
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- BJP calls pan-India strike against price rise July 5 - Jun 29, 2010
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012