BJP team to visit Orissa over pulses scamFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 3 (IANS) A central team of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will visit Orissa next week over an alleged scam related to supplying poor quality pulses to beneficiaries of government welfare schemes, a party leader said Thursday.State BJP president Jual Oram said the party’s national secretary Kirit Somaiya will make an on-the-spot assessment of the irregularities in the supply of poor quality “dal” (pulses) to children and women under welfare schemes.
Somaiya will visit several districts Feb 7-8. Leaders of the state unit will also accompany him, he told IANS here.
The alleged scam came to light after the state vigilance department last month claimed that there were irregularities in the supply of pulses to children and women at several places.
The vigilance department has not registered any case yet but it submitted a report to the government last week seeking approval to widen the probe.
Oram alleged that the government led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was shielding the culprits involved in the scam.
“He (Patnaik) has been playing with the lives of millions of children and women in the state by providing them poor quality dal,” Oram said, alleging that the scam involved a bungling of more than Rs.3,000 crore.
The state government supplies pulses under the mid-day meal scheme, the integrated child development scheme and the supplementary nutrition programme.
- Court moved over CBI probe into Orissa pulses scam (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Pulses scam: Orissa minister quits, 3 officers face action (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Prosecute Patnaik over pulses scam, BJP tells Orissa governor - Feb 16, 2011
- BJP demands Patnaik's prosecution on pulses scam - Feb 08, 2011
- Orissa minister resigns over pulses scam (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Congress seeks resignation of Orissa minister - Feb 04, 2011
- Orissa budget session off to a stormy start (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Orissa rights panel seeks report on pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Orissa budget session begins on stormy note - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP demands beneficiaries' check up over pulses scam - Feb 10, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Orissa minister resigns over scam - Feb 05, 2011
- Infected foodgrain being supplied to poor in Mumbai: BJP - Aug 09, 2010
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.25,000 crore: BJP - Oct 07, 2011
- Scams worth Rs.2.54 trillion in Mayawati's regime: BJP - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: beneficiaries, bjp president, chief minister, child development, culprits, development scheme, government welfare, irregularities, kirit somaiya, mid day, national secretary, oram, orissa, party leader, poor quality, quality pulses, state government, supplementary nutrition, vigilance, welfare schemes