BJP struggles to save Karnataka governmentMarch 19th, 2012 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore/New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) With former Karnataka chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa and supporters digging in their heels, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national leadership Monday faced the prospect bowing to rebels to save the state government or getting ready for a split.
BJP leaders were under tremendous pressure to reinstate scam-tainted Yeddyurappa following the recent high court ruling in favour of him in the mining bribery case.
Yeddyurappa has taken on the ‘high command’ at a critical moment for the party as the state assembly is to meet Tuesday. Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda is to present the budget for 2013-14 Wednesday.
The former chief minister claims the support of 70 of the party’s 120 members in the 225-member assembly which includes one nominated member.
He and his supporters, including several ministers, have been camping in a resort on Bangalore’s outskirts to decide whether they should boycott the assembly to force the central leaders to accept his demand.
In Delhi, about 10 BJP MPs lobbied with the central leaders to immediately replace Gowda with Yeddyurappa.
In New Delhi, senior party leader Arun Jaitley told reporters that he was in touch with Yeddyurappa and was confident of resolving the crisis.
Yeddyurappa was forced to quit July 31 last year after then Lokayukta (ombudsman) found that his family members had received around Rs.30 crore from two mining companies in return for favours.
Gowda succeeded him Aug 4. One of the conditions of Yeddyurappa was to make Gowda chief minister. However, he turned against Gowda soon after and has been insisting on being reinstated.
The demand intensified following the March 7 high court ruling quashing the Lokayukta findings and registration of case against him.
- Talks on with Yeddyurappa, says Gadkari (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Most Karnataka BJP rebels boycott assembly - Mar 20, 2012
- BJP may chuck Gowda to save Karnataka government (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Leadership tussle hits Karnataka BJP - Mar 08, 2012
- BJP's hard choice on Karnataka leadership: Split or sack (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Crisis in Karnataka BJP worsens - May 10, 2012
- Will get justice from CBI probe, says Yeddyurappa - May 11, 2012
- No change in Karnataka leadership: Gowda - Mar 22, 2012
- Karnataka BJP split wide open (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Karnataka BJP crisis heads for flashpoint - Mar 11, 2012
- BJP mulls replacing Karnataka chief minister to save government - Jul 03, 2012
- 67 BJP lawmakers bat for Yeddyurappa - Mar 20, 2012
- Sadananda Gowda to be BJP's new Karnataka chief minister (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Bhardwaj pats Gowda, may exacerbate BJP bickering - Jan 04, 2012
- Few takers in Karnataka BJP for nation-first mantra (Karnataka Newsletter) - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bribery case, central leaders, critical moment, crore, family members, favour, gowda, karnataka chief minister, march 19, member assembly, mining companies, national leadership, New Delhi, ombudsman, outskirts, party leader, rebels, state assembly, state government