BJP, SP protest fuel price hike in Uttar PradeshJune 25th, 2011 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 25 (IANS) Hundreds of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Samajwadi Party (SP) activists clashed with police Saturday in parts of Uttar Pradesh while protesting the hike in the prices of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas.
Demanding a rollback, the BJP and the SP activists burnt effigies of the central government in various districts, including Lucknow, Meerut, Jalaun, Allahabad and Varanasi. Police used mild force to disperse the agitators at these places.
Shouting anti-United Progressive Alliance (UPA) slogans, the BJP and SP activists blocked roads at several places in this state capital.
“The union government merely projects that it is working for the common man. The reality is that the Manmohan Singh government is really not bothered about the common man,” state BJP spokesperson Vijay Pathak told reporters.
“The government has miserably failed to contain inflation and therefore lost every moral right to remain in power,” he added.
Echoing similar views, SP spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary told reporters: “The hike in the prices is unjustified. Instead of listening to the complaints of the common man, the centre has been imposing a big burden of price spiral on the people.”
Petroleum Minister S. Jaipal Reddy Friday announced that the price of diesel will be increased by Rs.3 per litre, kerosene by Rs.2 per litre and domestic liquid petroleum gas (LPG) by Rs.50 per cylinder, excluding state levies such as VAT.
- BJP protests fuel price hike, demands rollback - Jun 25, 2011
- BJP protests fuel price hike in Delhi, demands rollback (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- 'Fuel price hike cripples transporters, economy of country' - Jun 25, 2011
- Haryana waives VAT on kerosene - Jun 26, 2011
- Orissa waives tax on cooking gas, kerosene - Jun 29, 2011
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- Himachal reduces VAT on diesel - Jun 27, 2011
- Ministerial meet to discuss LPG supply, price deferred - Sep 16, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Pranab urge states to cut levies on diesel, LPG - Jun 27, 2011
- Left parties slam fuel price hike, threaten stir - Jun 24, 2011
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Meghalaya waives VAT on kerosene, cooking gas - Jul 01, 2011
- Diesel, kerosene and cooking gas price hiked; common man, opposition angry (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: agitators, allahabad, bharatiya janata party, central government, common man, fuel price hike, jaipal reddy, kerosene, liquid petroleum gas, manmohan, manmohan singh, moral right, progressive alliance, rollback, rs 2, rs 50, Samajwadi Party, state levies, union government, varanasi