BJP slams Delhi government for delaying Afzal Guru’s executionMay 19th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday hit out at the Delhi government for delaying parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s execution and claimed that 26/11 may not have happened had he been hanged earlier.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said: “Had they done it (execution) five years back, the world would have realised what India does to those who carry out terrorist activities. And may be even 26/11 would not have happened.”
While backing the Supreme Court decision to hang Guru, the Delhi government has expressed concerns about the law and order situation in the wake of his execution. To this, Javadekar retorted: “This is an insult of Muslim patriotism. We condemn it. The Delhi government should give an unconditional recommendation.”
BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi also backed Javadekar’s view. “The Delhi government has abused the patriotism of crores of Muslim,” Naqvi said.
“Guru is a terrorist responsible for violence in India. Both Hindus and Muslims want him hanged immediately,” added Naqvi, a statement said.
Guru was given death penalty by a Delhi court Dec 18, 2002 after holding him guilty of conspiring to attack parliament Dec 13, 2001, waging war against the country and murder.
The Supreme Court rejected Aug 4, 2005 his appeal against the death sentence, which was upheld by the Delhi High Court Oct 29, 2003.
A sessions court set the date of his hanging Oct 20, 2006 in Tihar Jail but his wife Tabassum filed a mercy petition before the president, delaying his execution.
According to the laid down procedure, the president sought the home ministry’s views on the mercy petition and the home ministry, in turn, sought the Delhi government’s comments.
- President should reject Afzal's mercy plea: BJP - Jun 23, 2010
- BJP slams government for delaying Afzal Guru's execution - Jun 04, 2010
- No decision on Guru mercy, family leaves it to Allah (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- President rejects mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Delhi government discusses Afzal Guru's plea - May 19, 2010
- Afzal Guru's hanging won't be expedited: Home Secretary - May 23, 2010
- Matter's sensitivity delayed Afzal Guru's petition: Dikshit - May 24, 2010
- Hang Afzal Guru for Parliament attack, demand marchers - Dec 11, 2010
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Congress, BJP welcome death for Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- 'Home ministry to take final call on Afzal Guru's plea' - May 21, 2010
- BJP questions government on Afzal Guru's mercy plea - May 17, 2010
- Government forwards Afzal Guru mercy plea to president - Aug 10, 2011
- Mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row rejected (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Congress abusing patriotism of Muslims: BJP - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: abbas, bharatiya janata party, bjp, convict, crores, death penalty, death sentence, delhi court, delhi government, delhi high court, hindus and muslims, home ministry, law and order, mercy petition, mukhtar, patriotism, sessions court, slams, supreme court decision, terrorist activities