BJP shuns Varun, says abusing religion is not party cultureMarch 17th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday virtually shunned its candidate for the Pilibhit Lok Sabha seat Varun Gandhi for his alleged hate Muslim speeches saying the party believed in harmony and unity, unlike the Congress.
“BJP believes in prosperity, harmony and unity and it is the only tool to fight terror,” BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
He did not refer to Varun Gandhi’s Congress family background - he is the son of the late Sanjay Gandhi, former prime minister Indira Gandhi’s younger son and Maneka Gandhi - but said: “It is the Congress culture to divide society on the basis of caste and religion.”
Clearly distancing himself from the controversy, Naqvi said it was up to the Election Commission to take action against Varun Gandhi if he had violated the model code of conduct.
The 29-year-old was Sunday issued a notice by the district authorities in Uttar Pradesh’s Pilibhit, the constituency so carefully nurtured by his mother who gave up the seat to ensure his easy entry into the Lok Sabha.
Varun Gandhi said in Pilibhit Tuesday that the CD containing his speech had been tampered with.
He also said he would address a press conference in Delhi from a proper party platform Wednesday and clarify his stand on the controversy.
- Varun must apologise for communal remarks, says BJP (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Varun must apologise, action after seeing tapes: BJP (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- India's 'other Gandhi scion' Varun booked for stirring communal cauldron (Roundup) - Mar 17, 2009
- Congress takes Varun Gandhi complaint to Election Commission - Mar 17, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- Maneka Gandhi refuses to comment on son Varun - Mar 17, 2009
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- BJP looks for a Gandhi vs Gandhi in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 11, 2010
- Maneka says Varun Gandhi being targeted - Jun 20, 2009
- Petition seeks Maneka's disqualification too - Jul 02, 2009
- Don't alienate Muslims and lose votes: Naqvi appeals to BJP - Jun 21, 2009
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Varun Gandhi: an art lover, LSE grad, now a Hindu hawk - Mar 18, 2009
- UPA playing checkmate game on presidential choice: BJP - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, caste, constituency, district authorities, election commission, family background, former prime minister, indira gandhi, Lok Sabha, maneka gandhi, model code, mukhtar, naqvi, party culture, party platform, prime minister indira, sanjay gandhi, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi, younger son