BJP retains Agra mayoral seatJuly 7th, 2012 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, July 7 (IANS) The Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) retained the Agra mayoral seat Saturday with its candidate winning the municipal polls.
Indrajit Balmiki, the BJP’s candidate trounced Kartar Singh Bhartiya, supported by the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), by around 12,000 votes.
As counting began, Bhartiya took an early lead but later Balmiki turned the tables and emerged the winner.
BJP mayors have presided over the Agra Municipal Corporation without a break since 1989.
Shyam Prakash Jarari of the Congress and Maharaj Singh Dhangar supported by the Samajwadi Party lost the election.
- Dalit land remains loyal to Mayawati - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP adds Ghaziabad mayor's seat to its kitty - Jul 08, 2012
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- BJP sweeps corporation polls in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP accuses Ghaziabad administration of favouring SP - Jul 02, 2012
- New mayor for south Delhi civic agency - May 02, 2012
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- Elaborate security for Agra municipal polls - Jun 27, 2012
- What Anna factor? Parties fail to break caste barriers - Jan 06, 2012
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Major gains for BJP in UP urban body polls - Jul 07, 2012
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- 128 nominees in UP poll's sixth phase face criminal cases - Feb 18, 2012
- BJP-Akali Dal make major gains in Chandigarh civic polls - Dec 19, 2011
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012