BJP renews attack on prime ministerJuly 9th, 2012 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) The opposition BJP Monday stepped up its attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi for allegedly showing up India in a bad light internationally.
Slamming, the ruling party for a second time over the latest issue of Time magazine which calls the prime minister an “underachiever”, Bharatiya Janata Party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad also demanded Singh’s resignation.
“India’s image has been spoiled, it is sad that a conception is being formed internationally that India is among the most corrupt nations,” Prasad said.
“Sonia Gandhi cannot escape the blame, because she has given the political authority (to the prime minister) because of which the country is suffering,” he said.
Asked is the opposition wanted prime minister’s resignation, he said: “We have already demanded his resignation on several occasions.”
“Manmohan Singh used to publicly say that you criticise me, but you never notice what the international media writes about me. Now, the world is saying what the people of the country have been saying for a long time,” he said.
Time, in an upcomming cover story of its Asia edition, has dubbed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh an “underachiever” and questioned if the architect of 1991 economic reforms can rouse himself and put the country back on the high growth path.
- Is Manmohan Singh Sonia's poodle, asks British daily - Jul 16, 2012
- Government counters BJP's Time magazine attack on PM - Jul 09, 2012
- Time wonders if 'underachiever' Manmohan can overcome (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2012
- US has a very important relationship with India: White House - Jul 27, 2012
- Manmohan ineffectual, presides over corrupt government: US daily - Sep 05, 2012
- US daily calls PM 'tragic figure', government wants apology (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- US daily terms PM 'tragic figure', government wants apology (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Khurshid's comments on Rahul are fodder for BJP, Left (Intro Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Some Congressmen may seek to replace Manmohan with Rahul' - Aug 28, 2012
- Bal Thackeray terms PM 'politically impotent' - Jul 10, 2012
- Blackmail is bread and butter of BJP, says Sonia (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi has no clear convergent thinking: BJP - Jul 10, 2012
- Time calls Manmohan an underachiever (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP demands Chidambaram's immediate resignation (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- PM asks Advani to wait for his chance (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: architect, asia edition, congress president sonia gandhi, economic reforms, growth path, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, occasions, opposition, party leader, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ravi shankar, resignation, ruling party, second time, time magazine, underachiever