BJP reiterates commitment to Ram templeApril 3rd, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday reiterated that it was “committed” to building a Ram temple in Ayodhya.
Reading out extracts from the manifesto for the Lok Sabha election, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said the party was “committed to the construction of the Ram temple in Ayodhya”.
On the issue of Sethusamudram, a shipping channel to link India’s eastern and western coasts that the BJP is opposed to on grounds that it would destroy a chain of limestone shoals in the Palk straits that it dates back to the Ramayana, Prasad said the party would not “allow anyone to touch it”.
The BJP has also said it would stop cow slaughter as it was an issue associated with “faith”.
Prasad also talked of scrapping Article 370, which gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir.
“The unity of the country is not possible as long as Article 370 is there,” he said.
- BJP manifesto is against minority reservation; for Ram temple - Jan 27, 2012
- Way to power in Delhi via Uttar Pradesh, Gadkari tells party - Jun 03, 2011
- BJP promises to remodel Mayawati monuments, oppose minority quota (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- BJP promises to build Ram temple - Apr 03, 2009
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Advani kicks off BJP's UP poll campaign with Ram temple - Feb 05, 2012
- BJP bets on Hindutva as it woos middle class, military votes (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2009
- Let reconciliation process on Ayodhya continue: Prasad - Oct 05, 2010
- Narasimha Rao had key role in Ayodhya temple construction: Singhal - Aug 11, 2010
- Help build a temple, Hindu lawyer tells Muslims - Sep 30, 2010
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- BJP has narrow agenda: Congress - Apr 03, 2009
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases manifesto for general elections - Apr 03, 2009
- Ramayana controversy: India's pluralism under threat again (Comment) - Oct 29, 2011
- Disputed Ayodhya land will be shared by three (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: ayodhya, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cow slaughter, extracts, faith, India, kashmir, lok sabha election, manifesto, New Delhi, palk straits, prasad, ravi shankar, shipping channel, spokesperson, unity, western coasts